Tuesday, January 31, 2012


William Niederprim and Magdalena Niederprim
St. George Cemetery, Kenosha, Wisconsin
(Source:  Photo Courtesy of Kim Heinen Bitto)

1887 Partial Map of Somers  Township
W. Neiderprim parcel, Section 19

William Niederprim Obituary
(Source:  Kenosha Evening News, March 30, 1903)

Magdalena Neiderprim Obituary
(Source:  Chicago Daily Tribune, July 25, 1880)

Wilhelm Niederprim (sometimes spelled Neiderprim or Niederprum) was born in Germany on April 18, 1818. Magdalena Theisen (or Thiesen) was born in Germany on September 8, 1816. Wilhelm and Magdalena were married in Germany and had the following children:

· Johannes Bruno – christened December 6, 1850 in Fliessem, Rheinland, Germany; died in Germany
· Catharina – christened July 14, 1852 in Fleissem, Rheinland, Germany
· Petrus – christened October 5, 1853 in Fliessem, Rheinland, Germany

Wilhelm’s brother Michael Niederprim and his family came to America in 1856 and settled first in Chemung County, New York, then in the city of Kenosha, Wisconsin. The Wilhelm Niederprim family followed and came to America on the British Bark Alberti, landing in New York on June 3, 1857, from Antwerp, Belgium. Their son Petrus died on the ship on the way to America. Their daughter Catharina died shortly after their arrival.

The Niederprim family traveled on the same ship as the Mandernach and Thom families, who also settled in Somers Township. It is uncertain whether the Mandernach’s and the Niederprim’s knew each other prior to boarding the ship. Many years later, in 1908, Mathias Mandernach’s son Peter would marry Wilhelm Niederprim’s granddaughter Lena.

The Wilhelm and Magdalena Niederprim family settled on the north side of Kenosha in Section 19 of Somers Township. Wilhelm farmed and became one of the pioneer settlers of the area. The family belonged to St. George’s Catholic Church. Wilhelm and Magdalena had two children born in Wisconsin:

· Mary – born June 21, 1858 in Kenosha; married Valentine Weyres on September 8, 1879 in Waukegan, Illinois; died December 31, 1911 in Kenosha County.
· Michael – born August 11, 1861 in Kenosha; married Anna Julia Leik on October 21, 1884 in Kenosha, Wisconsin; died February 18, 1919 in Kenosha

Magdalena Niederprim died July 24, 1880, in Kensoha County, having been assaulted and murdered by a tramp. Wilhelm Niederprim died March 29, 1903 in Kenosha County. Both are buried in St. George’s Cemetery, Kenosha, Wisconsin.
(Source of this Niederprim story:  Kim Heinen Bitto, January 2012)

Additional information about Niederprim
Wilhelm (William) Niederprim was buried April 1, 1903 in St. George Cemetery in Kenosha.
Mary Niederprim is buried in St. George Cemetery in Kenosha.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Ozanne Family

1877 partial map of Somer Township
Ozanne parcels, Section 9 and 10
Peter Ozanne, James Ozanne, Dr. James Ozanne, E.G. Ozanne, H.A. (Helena Ozanne) Hitler, A.C. Ozanne
James Ozanne
James and Rachel (Thoume) Ozanne were natives of Guernsey.  They were the parents of four children, three sons and one daughter, namely:  James, Peter, John and Rachel of whom John died at the age of fifteen years, and Rachel died in childhood.  James Ozanne and his family came to America, landing at Racine, Wisconsin June 18, 1842.  On July 4th following, he bought 326 acres on land, located in Somers Township, Kenosha County, later dividing a portion of this land between his sons, James and Peter, and passed the balance of his life here, dying age at 72 years.
He was twice married, his first wife being the mother of  Peter and James.  After her death, he went back to Guernsey where in 1847 he married Mary Carre, who lived in Somers Township  four children were born to this union:  Helena, widow of H.A. Hitler of Somers Township whom she had one children, Clinton; Alfred, who died in Tempe, Ariz in 1916, leaving three children; Miss Emma, of Somers Township, and Edward G., also of Somers Township.
(Source:  Biographical Record of Prominent and Representative Men of Racine and Kenosha Counties, Wisconsin, J.H. Beers & Co., 1906)

Dr. James Ozanne
Dr. James Ozanne (son of James and Rachel Thomne Ozanne) was born on the Isle of Guernsey May 21, 1825.  He was a physician.  He was a graduate of Hahnemann Medical College, Chicago, Illinois, 1862.  He married September 21, 1851 in Princeton, Wisconsin, Miss Marie Fidelia Kellogg, the daughter of Austin Kellogg, one of the first pioneer settlers in Somers, Township and Kenosha County, also Kellogg's Corners neighborhood in Somers Township.  Dr. James Ozanne died in Somers July 24, 1891.  His widow, Maria, moved to Oshkosh, Wisconsin with her son.  To this union six children were born: James Thoume Ozanne, Rachel Amelia, Walter Henry, Gail Austin, Irvine Eugene, and Herbert Giles.
(Source:  "The Kelloggs in the Old World and the News, Volume 2, by Timothy Hopkins, published in San Francisco, California 1903).

Peter Ozanne (son of James and Rachel Thoume Ozanne)
"Peter Ozanne was born on the Isle of Guernsey in the English Channel on March 27, 1827, and died March 6, 1905, lacking but twenty-one days of being seventy-eight years old.  He was one of the pioneers in this section of Kenosha County and for many years was a very prominent and influential man in Somers Township.
James and Rachel (Thoume) Ozanne, the parents of Peter Ozanne, were natives of Guernsey.  They were the parents of four children, three sons and one daughter, namely:  James, Peter, John and Rachel of whom John died at the age of fifteen years, and Rachel died in childhood.  James married and reared a family; he became a physician.  James Ozanne and his family came to America, landing at Racine, Wisconsin June 18, 1842.  One July 4th following he bought 326 acres of land, located in Somers Township, Kenosha County, later dividing a portion of this land between his sons, James and Peter, and passed the balance of his life here, dying aged seventy-two years.  He was twice married, his first wife being the mother of our subject.  After her death he went back to Guernsey where he married Mary Carre, who still lives in Somers Township; she has been blind for some years.  Four children were born to this union:  Alfred C. of Tempe, Ariz.; Helena, widow of H.A. Hitler of Somers Township; Miss Emma, of Somers Township; and Edward G., also of Somers Township.
On March 28, 1849, Peter Ozanne was married to Miss Mary Ann LeMessurier, who was born April 17, 1832 in Guernsey, and six children were born to them, as follows:  Mary Ann, Pierre T., Lawrence E., Clarence F., Rosa A. and Charles H.  Mary Ann died aged five months.  Pierre T. is single, and lives on the old homestead with his brother Lawrence E.  Clarence F. twin brother of Lawrence E. died in 1884, aged twenty years and three days.  Charles H. died in 1877 aged nine years, eleven months and twenty-four days.  Rosa A. married Fred L. Holmes, lives at South Haven, Michigan and has five living children: Bertrand M., Harry R., Fred B., Beatrice R. and Mary L.
For a period of nineteen years Peter Ozanne was Somers Town Clerk continuously; for a number of years he was Somers Town Treasurer; was Clerk of School District No. 7; and for a few years was Secretary of the Somers Mutual Fire Insurance Company.
The farm which Mr. Ozanne originally owned in Somers Township, a gift from his father, contained eighty-seven acres, two acres having since been sold.  To have lived in one locality for sixty-three years and to have, during that time, gained the respect and esteem of one's fellow citizens and preserved it to the end, is a pretty fair test of a man's quality, and such was the case with Peter Ozanne.  His remains rest in Oakwood Cemetery.  He was a member of the Methodist Church.
Mrs. Ozanne, who still survives, is much esteemed in Somers Township where she is well known for her many admirable qualities of mind and heart.  Her parents were Abraham and Mary (Le Prevost) Le Messurier, and her maternal grandparents were Daniel and Elizabeth (La Huray) Le Prevost, the family evidently being of French descent.  The three daughters of Abraham and May Le Messurier were:  Mary Ann, Mrs. Ozanne; Margarate, deceased, formerly the wife of Thomas Le Poidevin; and Matilda, widow of Fred Graham, now residing in Racine.
The father of Mrs. Ozanne died in Guernsey (where he was born) aged thirty-nine years.  He was by trade a boot and shoe manufacturer, but gave up much of his time to music, for which he had considerable talent, being a fine performer on the cornet and the clarinet; his services were frequently in demand in musical organizations.  After his death his widow came to America, in 1847, settling in Racine, Wisconsin., where she died in 1886, at the age of seventy-five years.  She married (second) William Graham, who had been a soldier in the Mexican War.  He was a ship carpenter by trade and lived at Racine for many years, dying aged about seventy-nine.  The two sons of Peter Ozanne carry on the farm, both being capable agriculturists and good citizens."
(Source: Biographical Record of Prominent and Representative Men of Racine and Kenosha Counties, Wisconsin, J.H. Beers & Co., 1906)

Peter Ozanne
He served 19 years as Somers Town Clerk and also several years as Somers Town Treasurer.  He was served a number of years as Secretary of the Somers Mutual Fire Insurance Company.

"Mrs. Holmes (nee Rosa Ozanne) and children of Chicago are visiting with her father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. Peter Ozanne."
(Source:  Racine Journal, July 11, 1900)

Edward G. Ozanne (son of James and Mary Carre Ozanne)
Edward G. Ozanne, who was engaged in farming in Section 10, Somers Township, was born August 30, 1854, in the township where he now resides, his parents being James and Mary (Carre) Ozanne, who were natives of the Isle of Guernsey, whence they came to the United States in 1842.  Edward went to local school until 16 years old.  he has since inherited a portion of his father's farm and has purchased the interest of the other heirs in the property.  Later he sold off part of his land but at present owns 80 acres. In 1881 Edward G. Ozanne married Miss Ida Clemens, who died in 1895, leaving two children, Edward C. and Mary E.  The former is married and has two children.  Mr. Ozanne was married again October 6, 1898, the lady of his choice being Miss Minnie A. Grimshaw, daughter of Joseph and Bessie (Lee) Grimshaw, the former a native of England.  The mother, who was born in Somers, is still living in that town.
(Source:  The City and County of Kenosha, Wisconsin, Volume II, S.J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1916)

"E.G. Ozanne has put up a windmill for the purpose of cutting feed.  It is one manufactured by the Winship Co., of Racine.
(Source:  Racine Journal December 3, 1896)

"E.G. Ozanne left on Tuesday fro Beatrice, Nebraska where Mrs. Ozanne is spending a few weeks for the benefit of her health."
( Source:  Racine Journal Aug. 18, 1905)

Isle of Guernsey - About
"Off the northern coast of France lies Guernsey, from which many early settlers came to Racine and Kenosha Counties.  The island is high-cliffed and topped with living green and lies amid the swirling tides of the English Channel.  It was called Sarnia by the Romans.  Guernsey has an area of about 25 square miles, much less than a standard township in the state of Wisconsin.  It is about 5-1/2 miles at its widest point and 9-1/2 miles in length.  Its inhabitants are dairy and garden farmers who have acres of greenhouses where the choicest garden crops are raised.  Famed are the White Pinks and other flowers raised for the English  markets.
The little isle is the home of "a beautiful streamlined creature, straight of back and clean of limb" - the famous Guernsey cow.  In 1831 Capt. Prince of Boston brought two heifers and a sire back with him from Guernsey and sent them to his brother on a tiny island in Lake Winnepesaukee.It was questioned whether these imported cattle could stand a more severe climate, but they proved to have endurance and adaptability.
Tragedy came to the isle in 1940 when the Germans invaded it.  Many of the natives were evacuated but others refused to abandon their cows-most of these gentle-eyed creatures disappeared into the conquerors' stew pots.  America is making plans to return this breed of cattle to native soil."
(Source:  Plight of Guernsey in Dark Days of War Revealed in a Letter to Lawrence Ozanne. Article written by Minnie Ozanne, Racine Journal Times, published September 28, 1945).


Walter J. Middlecamp, Sr.
(Source:  Kenosha News, April 14, 1971)

Middlecamp  Family
Left to Right:  Maggie (wife), Etta, Walter (in front) Albert, Frank
(Source:  Ancestry.com MiddlecampFamilyTreePublicSite)

1938 Somers Girls Baseball Team

(Source:  Photograph Courtesy of Edwin "Red" and Marcella Thomas Mueller, Somers Township)

Left to Right, Back Row
Shirley Klapproth Damaschke, Marcella Thomas Mueller, Gerty Kremis Hapanowicz, Lrraine Schecht, Unknown, Darlene Michelson

Left to Right, Front Row
Julie Kremis Covelli, Alice Thomas Yacukowicz, June Propson Bose (lady peeking behind Alice), Margaret Ann Dorey Swensen, Dorothy Wallace, and Mary Ellen Thompson Werner.

Not pictured:  Vicki Kremis Klapproth (taking the photo)

Somers Girls Baseball Team
Click on Photo for closer view

Monday, January 23, 2012


(Plat Book Racine and Kenosha County, Hennessey & Co., Delavan, Wis. 1908)

John B. Wirtz
"John B. Wirtz, a well known citizen of Somers, has been a lifelong resident of this county, his birth occurring in Somers Township near Kenosha, on the 10th of April, 1870.  His parents were John and Mary (Eberhardt) Wirtz, who were born in the Rhine country of Germany, where they were reared and educated.  The father was forty-two years of age when he crossed the Atlantic to the United States and made his way to this county, settled just outside the city limits of Kenosha.  There he purchased land and engaged in farming for a time but afterward took up his abode in the city and worked at the blacksmith's trade, continuing his residence there until his life's labors were ended in death.  His widow survives and yet makes her home in Kenosha.
John B. Wirtz spent his youthful days in that city and after the common schools had prepared him for life's practical and responsible duties.  He secured employment in the Bain Wagon Works, where he remained for twelve years.  He then went to Racine, where he was engaged in the grocery business for a year, but afterward returned to the trade of wagon making and for eight years occupied the responsible position of foreman in a Kenosha factory.  On the expiration of that period he removed to Somers, where he opened an inn and has now been identified with the hotel interests of the town for twelve years, during which period he has built up a trade of large and gratifying proportions, being now accorded a liberal patronage.
On the 9th of October, 1905, Mr. Wirtz was united in marriage to Miss Margaret De Frang, a daughter of John and Margaret (Weiler) De Frang, who were early settlers of Kenosha.  Her father was baggageman at the Northwestern depot for several years and the family is well known.
Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Wirtz; Marie, Isabel, Adeline and Elizabeth.
The family are communicants of the Catholic church and fraternally Mr. Wirtz belongs to the Catholic Knights and the Fraternal Order of Eagles of Kenosha.
(Source:  City and County of Kenosha Wisconsin, Vol. II, Chicago, S.J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1916)

St. George Cemetery, Kenosha, Wisconsin
(Source of Photo:  USGenArchivesProjectKenoshaWis by Larry & Linda Kopet)

St. George Cemetery, Kenosha, Wisconsin
(Source of Photo: USGenArchivesProjectKenoshaWis by Larry & Linda Kopet)

St. George Cemetery, Kenosha, Wisconsin
(Source of Photo: USGenArchivesProjectKenoshaWis by Larry & Linda Kopet)

St. George Cemetery, Kenosha, Wisconsin
(Source of Photo: USGenArchivesProjectKenoshaWis by Larry & Linda Kopet)

St. George Cemetery, Kenosha, Wisconsin
(Source of Photo: USGenArchivesProjectKenoshaWis by Larry & Linda Kopet)

The marriage of Miss Isabelle Wirtz to Mr. M.A.  Rasmussen is announced for July 10, 1919.
(Source:  Racine Journal July 9, 1919)

Children of John B. Wirtz and Margarethe E. DeFrang Wirtz
Marie Margaret Wirtz born about 1896/1897
Isabel B. Wirtz born about 1898, died in Kenosha, Wisconsin December 15, 1971
Adeline B. Wirtz born 1899/1900
Elizabeth Wirtz born 1904/1906

Children of the father, John Wirtz -1880 U.S. Federal Census
Elizabeth, born about 1869
John, born about 1870
Anthony, born about 1873
Mathias, born about 1874

Map of the "village" of Somers.
Wirtz parcel on the south side of Highway E, west of the RR tracks.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

School Hillcrest

Hillcrest State Graded School, District No. 2, Town of Somers, Kenosha County, Wisconsin
Circa 1954
(Photo of plate owned by Joe Fonk, photographed by Jacqueline Klapproth Nelson)

The above text was printed on back of the Hillcrest plate above.
Circa 1954
Hillcrest State Graded School, District No. 2, Town of Somers, Kenosha County, Wisconsin
(Photo of plate owned by Joe Fonk, photographed by Jacqueline Klapproth Nelson)

1913-1914 School year class picture of Hillcrest Graded School, Town of Somers, Wisconsin
See student identification below.
(Photo courtesy of Joe Fonk)

Student Identification Key
1913-1914 School year class picture of Hillcrest Graded School, Town of Somers, Wisconsin
See student identification below.
(Photo courtesy of Joe Fonk)
Student names for
1913-1914 School year class picture of Hillcrest Graded School, Town of Somers, Wisconsin
See student identification above.
(Photo courtesy of Joe Fonk)

School District No. 2 - Hillcrest School
The story of School District No. 2, now Hillcrest State Graded, is full of interest from its organization in the early Forties (1840's).
In 1841, the first building was located about a mile east of the present site on the (then) Ira Newman farm, and was a rude log structure. The foundation stones are still there.
The quarter acre of land in Section 26, T. 2N., R22 E. on which this log schoolhouse was built, was to be used for school purposes without charge, or rent, so long as it should be occupied for the purpose of a District School.
The first school was known as the Ridge School, and the first Board of Trustees was: Cephus Weed, Treasurer; Jonathan H. Talcott, and Jonathan Pierce.
In 1852 a roll was called for the building of a new schoolhouse, and $360 was voted for this purpose. The site chosen was the present one, now Hillcrest. Among items of special interest in the Treasurer's book, are: "April 2, 1842-cash paid for recording school lot deed, 51 cents; paid for cleaning schoolhouse-25 cents."
During the Civil War, the undersigned agreed to pay the Treasurer of School District No. 2, the sum set opposite their respective names, for the purpose of keeping a school, to be taught by Robert Graham, during the summer of 1862. Leonard Lee $5, Thomas Hunt $3, S.B. Clapp $3, Ira Newman $1, A. Northway $1, J.C. Stover $1, James Talcott $1, E. Pennoyer $2, Burton Curtiss $1, Thomas Jordan $2, Eli G. Runals $3 and James A. Newman $2.
Robert Graham also served as Township Superintendent of Schools and later became State Superintendent of Schools.
Among the early students of District No. 2 was William Fisher, who, for many years, was one of Kenosha's most prominent merchants; also Lucius Lee, who, after finishing for the ministry, was sent to Turkey, where he did mission work for 30 years; the Jordan family, Thomas, Henrty, George, John, Ann and Maria; the Barnes family, V. and Phillip, prominent attorneys, William and Carrie, teachers; Miss Lily Runals, an accomplished musician and opera singer, who later joined the Metropolitan in New York; the Rogers family, William, Thomas, James and Elizabeth.
Some few years ago the one-room building made way for a modernized two-room red brick, with a recent primary building added, where more than 120 pupils are schooled, under the tutorship of three teachers, ow the Hillcrest State Graded.
(Source:  My Memoirs by Minnie A.G. Ozanne, Copyright 1848 Minnie A.G. Ozanne. All Rights Reserved.)

Buy 40 Acres For New School
"Hillcrest State Graded School has purchased 40 acres of land from Joseph Heimes for the new school building.  Construction will begin in early spring.  Plans call for a six classroom building, to replace the present over-crowded school.  Approximately 140 pupils attend classes in two main floor rooms and two basement class rooms.
(Source:  Racine Journal January 11, 1954)

New Hillcrest School
"An estimated 700 persons attended dedication ceremonies Sunday at Hillcrest State Graded School.  Participating in the program at the newly-constructed building were: Wayne Wornick, Rev. Robert Mueller, Somers Congregational Church; Frank Newman, Mrs. Martha Cummings, principal.
Speakers included  Miss Leona Fischer, elementary school supervisor from the Department of Public Instruction, Madison; Miss Margaret Diehl, Kenosha County Superintendent of Schools; Jay W. Rhodes, Chairman of the Town of Somers.
Musical selections were by the Washington Junior High School chorus.
The new school building was opened to classes on January 17, with attendance of 160 students.  Five teachers employed are:  Mrs. Martha Cummings, principal. Carol Poynter, Gail Gillmore, Colene Westmoreland, and Mary LeVall."
(Source:  Racine Journal March 8, 1955)


Charles Barrows
Mr. Charles Barrows (Section 6) was born in Chautauqua County, New York on August 26, 1835.  He was a lad of only 6 years old when with his father he came to Wisconsin.  He is the son of La Prelate Barrows, a native of Massachusetts born in 1806.  On April 22, 1858 he married Miss Rhoda Rogers Sammis, who was born in Florence, Onondaga County, New York.  Her father died in New York in 1845 after which time her mother came to Wisconsin in 1850 when Rhoda was 10.  
Mr. Barrows enlisted in 1862 as a member of company H, 22nd Wisconsin Infantry where he was promoted to Corporal, and served until the war ended.  He was captured at Spring Hill and held in Libby prison for 15 days.  He participated in battles in Georgia, New Hope Church, Chattahoochee River and Peach Tree Creek and many other skirmishes.  He participated in the Grand Review in Washington, D.C.  In 1875 Mr. Barrows moved to Santa Anna County, California during which time he engaged in carpentering.  He return to his boyhood home 14 months later.  He served as Somers Town Supervisor for five years, Somers Town Board Chairman for two years, and 20 years on the School Board.
Unto this worthy couple, 9 children were born and 4 survive.  Chester J., Jacob J., Maria, and Hiram.

Jacob J. Barrows
Mr. Jacob J. Barrows (Section 15) was a successful truck farmer and devoted his farm to garden products specializing in cabbage and beets. He is the son of Charles L. and Rhoda M (Sammis) Barrows, natives of Cattaraugus County, New York, of Section 6. He was born in Racine March 1869. Charles L. died in 1901 and Rhoda died in 1906.
As a young boy Jacob J. Barrows went to district schools and worked for his father for three years to the age of 21. He was ambitious to make his labors more directly to benefit himself and therefore rent 360 acres for four years. He was able to carefully save his earnings until he had enough to purchase 13 acres on County Line Road. To earn extra money he was employed by Racine Carriage Company for short time. He next moved to the old homestead at Berryville and remained there for two years after which he purchased 60 acres. As the years passed, he further extended his boundaries by purchased an additional 40 acres in 1915 and had all the conveniences of a model farm of the 20th century. While he raised grain he gave attention largely to the cultivation of garden produce for the city markets and had great fields of cabbage and beets.
On September 5, 1890, he married Miss Carolina Kohlmann, daughter of Louis Kohlmann of Racine. Five children were born of this union. Edna, who is the wife of H.C. Thompson, an early pioneer of this area, Louis H., Charles, Stanley R. and LaVerne. Jacob J. Barrows was a member of the Methodist Church. In politics he is a Republican and has served as Somers Town Treasurer and Chair of the Board of Supervisors. He was also a member of the School Board.

Louis J. Barrows, son of Jacob J. Barrows 
Louis J. Barrows, 84, 2031 30th Avenue, died Saturday at his home after a three week illness.
He was born July 16, 1893 in Somers, a son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Jacob J. Barrows.
A lifetime resident of Somers Township, he was educated in Somers schools and at the College of Commerce in Kenosha.
On June 3, 1914 he married Laura Foster; she died on June 12, 1974.
He farmed in Somers and was a member of the Kenosha County Farm Bureau.  He also was a member of St. Peter Catholic Church and was a past treasurer of the Town of Somers.
Survivors include a daughter, Mrs. Roy (Delores) Safransky of Kenosha; four grandchildren; two brother, Charles and Stanley, both of Somers; and a sister, Mrs. Paul (Laverna) James, Union Grove, Wis.
He was preceded in death by a son, Floyd, and a sister, Mrs. Edna Thompson.
(Source:  Racine Journal Times March 25, 1978)

Charles H. Barrows, son of Jacob J. Barrows
Charles H. Barrows, 82, 6601 12th St, died at his home Monday morning.  He was born on October 30, 1896 in the Town of Somers, the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Jacob J. (Caroline Kohlman) Barrows.
He received his education in Somers schools and was a lifelong resident of the Town.
On June 28, 1924 he married Stella Fink.  She died on Aug. 29, 1971.
He was an Army veteran of World War I, enlisting on Aug. 13, 1918 and receiving his discharge on March 18, 1919.  He was a sergeant first class in the Motor Transport Corps.
he was a farmer in the Town of Somers.  He was a member of Holy Communion Lutheran Church in Racine.
Surviving are a daughter, Miss Carol Barrows, Kenosha; a brother, Stanley R., of Kenosha, and a sister, Mrs. Paul (Laverna James, Union Grove.
He was preceded in death by a sister, Mrs. Edna Thompson, and a brother, Louis J.
(Source:  Racine Journal Sept 24, 1979)

Mrs. Stella (Estelle) Barrows, wife of Charles H. Barrows
Mrs. Stella (Estella) Barrows, 73, 6601 12th Street, died Sunday morning at Memorial Hospital, following a long Illinois.
Born in Racine County on Aug. 29, 1898, she was the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Fink.  She received her education in the schools of Mt. Pleasant, Wis. and was a graduate of the Union Grove Normal School.  She attended Whitewater State College.
She married Charles H. Barrows June 28, 1924.
Mrs. Barrows taught school in Racine and Kenosha counties, retiring ten years ago.
She was a member of Holy Communion Lutheran Church, Racine, and of the Royal Neighbors of Somers.
Survivors are her husband; a daughter, Miss Carol Barrows, Kenosha; a brother, Merton Fink, Racine; and a sister, Miss Merle Fink, Kenosha.  She was preceded in death by two brothers Everett and Clinton, and by a sister, Miss Julia Fink.  Graceland Cemetery.
(Source:  Racine Journal. Obituary date unknown on clipping)

Mrs. Stanley (Sorenson) Barrows, wife of Stanley Barrows
Mrs. Stanley Barrows, 61, Rt. 4, Box 566, Kenosha, died at Kenosha Memorial Hospital Monday night following a short illness.
She was born Myrtle Sorenson in Racine on Feb. 11, 1904, the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. S.C. Sorenson.  In 1905 she came to Somers Township with her parents.  She attended school in Kenosha County, and graduated from Racine High School.
On October 1, 1927, she married Stanley Barrows.  She was employed at the Simmons Co. office for many years prior to her retirement in 1962.  She was a member of the United Church of Christ, Somers, and was active in the church Sunday school, serving as a teacher and supervisor for many years.  She was also a member of the church choir, and Christian Service circle, and the Simmons 20-Year Club.
Survivors besides her husband are one brother, Archie R. Sorenson, Vacaville, Calif., and one sister, Miss Marie Sorenson, Somers.  She was preceded in death by a brother, George R. Sorenson in 1945.
(Source:  Racine Journal Oct. 26, 1965)

Chester J. Barrows
"Chester J. Barrows, age 89, of Somers Township, passed away Saturday afternoon, April 23, 1955 in the Kenosha's hospital, following a month's illness.  Mr. Barrows was born in Mt. Pleasant, Racine County on April 13, 1866, and was the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Charles L. Barrows.  He had been engaged in farming most of his life.  On November 13, 1888, he was married to the former Margaret Breaid (Braid) who preceded him in death on July 7, 1928.  Surviving are one son, Bert Barrows of Kenosha, two daughters, Mrs. Maude Sommer of Elkhorn, Wis. and Mrs. Alta Meekma of Racine; one brother Hiram Barrows of Fresno, California; one sister, Mrs. Maria Madson of Fresno, California.  A son, George Barrows preceded him in death.  Interment in Mound Cemetery in Racine.
(Source:  Racine Journal April 25, 1955)

Partial 1887 Map of Somers Township
Section 6, Barrows parcel (currently Kenosha Country Club)

"Mr. Hiram Barrows purchased 45 acres of land from Miss Delia Bishop. Consideration $4,500.00."
(Source:  Racine Journal March 30, 1906)

More About Barrows
Click here to read more about Barrows on the Oakwood Cemetery site.

Friday, January 20, 2012


"Christian Koch, a well known farmer of the Town of Somers, died at his residence west of the city on Saturday evening after a long illness from cancer.  The deceased was 59 years of age.  He was born July 5, 1950 in Germany, but came to this country when a young man.  He had lived in Somers for many years and for many years he was employed by the late Edward Bain.  He is survived by two children, both living in the Town of Somers.  The funeral was held from St. George's Church with interment in the family plat at St. George's cemetery.
(Source:  Racine Daily December 10, 1907)

1900 U.S. Federal Census
Christian Koch lived in the Township of Somers with his wife, Catherine.
Christian Koch immigrated here in 1875.
Catherine was born March 1860 in Wisconsin.
Christian Koch and Catherine were married in 1889.
Christian and Catherine had two children:  Lulu and Rosy

1910 U.S. Federal Census
Catherine Koch, age 50, widowed, was living in the Township of Somers with her daughter Rose E. Bose and son in law, John E. Bose, son of Edward and Mary Bose.


Ambrose S. Carpenter

"Ambrose S. Carpenter, of Somers, Kenosha County, died at the home of his son at 3 o'clock Sunday afternoon.  The funeral will take place Wednesday at 11 0'clock.  Mr. Carpenter was one of the pioneer settlers of Kenosha County, coming here at an early date from the place of his birth, Massachusetts.
Several years ago he left Somers and took up residence with a son.  Two years ago he returned to Kenosha County and has lived since then with his son in Somers Township.
Mr. Carpenter was very well known by the people of the county, especially the old settlers, and his death will be greatly lamented."
(Source:  Racine Weekly September 13, 1900)

1850 U.S. Federal Census - Carpenter family lived in Pleasant Prairie, Kenosha County, Wisconsin
1860 U.S. Federal Census - Carpenter family lived in Pleasant Praier, Kenosha County, Wisconsin
Lydia Peep (also seen spelled Peck) (Mrs. Ambrose Carpenter) died November 2, 1874 in Pleasant Prairie.
1900 U.S. Federal Census - George I. Carpenter lived in Somers Township, Rented.
George I. Carpenter, age 41, born about March 1859.  Father:  Ambrose S. Carpenter
Carrie A. Carpenter, age 39.  born about 1861 Carrie Owen.  Parents Fitz Owen and Caroline Owen.  The Owen's and Carpenter's lived near one another in Salem Township, Kenosha County.  Both Mr. Owen and Mr. Carpenter had occupations of "carpenter" on the 1880 U.S. Federal census report.
Children of George and Carrie on the 1900 Census:
Lora L., Ray E., Elmer O., Mac A.  The father of George, Ambrose S. Carpenter, age 74, lived with this family.

1910 U.S. Federal Census shows the Carpenter family had moved to Jackson, Michigan.
Carrie Owen Carpenter died Feb. 19, 1907 in Jackson, Michigan and George Carpenter died November 3, 1917 in Jackson, Michigan.

Pike River School

School District No. 7 - Pike River School

Between the years of 1836 and November 30, 1846 there is no record of School No. 7. It was on November 30, 1846 that the Commissioners of Common Schools in the Town of Pike, later Somers, met at the home of James Lynch, at the request of Jonas W. Rhodes, Alvin Strong, and others, for the formation of a new school district. This district thus formed, was four miles long, one and one-half miles wide. It has been changed many times, and in 1860 became a joint district with Mt. Pleasant, Racine County. In April, 1847 a meeting was called and officers appointed: Clerk, S.E. Hurlbut; Trustees, H. Longwell, Jonas W. Rhodes, A. Strong, Collector, J. Longwell; Treasurer, J.P. Hurlbut.

On October 25, a tax of $150 was levied for the purpose of erecting a school house, and the Trustees were authorized to choose a site. November 15, same year, an adjourned meeting was held to raise $200, and the site was to be on the "west side of the bluff". In September, 1848 the size and construction of the building was considered and decided to have it 20x25 feet, and that it be underpinned in a workmanship manner according to the direction of the Trustees.

That winter it was decided to have school if a suitable place could be found, and $40 was raised for the purpose of painting and buying a stove, a broom, and a pail.

At the first annual meeting held in the new school building in 1849, a vote was made to raise $30, to pay a teacher the coming winter for at least three months. However, five months of school were held, with an enrollment of sixteen scholars, and wages were paid E. Hannon, five dollars per month. The school grounds were six rods square, and are just as scenic today, as then.

The annual meeting October 8, 1850 voted to begin school in two weeks, and continued four months, and also contracted for six cords of seasoned body oak at $1.12 an 1/2 per cord.
The annual meeting October 6, 1857 voted six months school, the clerk being instructed to procure a female teacher. Miss Emily English was paid $11 per month, and eight scholars attended.
In 1852 the Treasurer reported the annual budge of $80.07 with indebtedness of $4.07. During that year there were two teachers; Miss Lucy French taught four months, at two dollars per week, and Caroline DeLong for three months, at $1.62-1/2 per week -- 19 scholars.

In 1858 additional land was bought to make the grounds contain one acre, and the three-year term of board members was inaugurated.  The library was kept in the various homes until 1886, when it was placed in the schoolhouse.
(Source: My Memoirs by Minnie A.G. Ozanne, Copyright 1848 Minnie A.G. Ozanne. All Rights Reserved.)

Pike River School in the News
"The Pike River School PTA will hold a card party at the schoolhouse Friday night, November 20, 1942."
(Source:  Racine Journal November 19, 1942)

Minnie Ozanne

(Photograph Courtesy of  Minnie Ozanne from her book "My Memoirs")

"Surreys and buggies were the vogue in transportation when Miss Minnie Grimshaw, now Mrs. E.G. Ozanne, began writing news and "personals" for the Racine Journal-Times and its forerunners.
At 85, Mrs. Ozanne is a living history book.  Her memory is as keen as her interest has been all her life in the everyday events going on about her in Somers Township.  Although her "beat" hasn't been of spectacular nature, her faithful recording of the daily events has produced thousands of newspaper clippings which overflow more than 10 scrap books.
Mrs. Ozanne has lived all her life among the friends who have produced the daily gist for the copy which she began submitting to the Racine Journal in August, 1896.  At the time she was teaching in the one-room Burr Oak School after returning from Nebraska where she completed high school and had taught for several years.
Her first teaching job was offered to her while she was still in high school.  But, as now, teachers were in short supply and the county superintendent certified her and Miss Grimshaw lengthened her skirt and put up her hair and took the job.  She was boarded for $1 a week on a 600 acres cattle ranch where part of her chores included getting up early enough to wash the breakfast dishes before leaving for school.  After supper she also had to clean up the kitchen.
After three months teaching to complete the spring term, Miss Grimshaw moved to Jefferson County, Nebraska, and a one-room school isolated in the center of a corn field with the only entrance a footpath.  "My superintendent was an Indian," recalled the sprightly reporter.  "I was afraid of him, although I'd never seen him.  I sent my credentials in to him and they were returned in due time.  But one day while I was teaching, in he walked.  He was a tall man, the tallest man I think I've ever seen.  He sat in the back of the room and never said a word.  After school was over he came up to my desk and his only criticism was that I stood up too much while teaching.  I never saw him again."
Back in Somers Township, Miss Grimshaw took up her teaching job at Burr Oak School where she had attended as a youngster.  Three years later she was married to E.G. Ozanne, who died in 1936.  She continues to live on the Ozanne Homestead on Highway 31, south of the entrance to Petrifying Springs.  The homestead includes the site of the first log cabin in southeastern Wisconsin.  The homestead dates from 1842 and often is visited days by members of neighboring historical societies in their study of early Wisconsin history.
since the death of her husband her only companions have been her canaries and a dog which she now has outlived.  But life has never been dull.  She also is a notary public and secretary of the Somers Cemetery Association.
A few years ago she published her first book, "My Memoirs" which records the early history of her area as she lived it and knew it firsthand.  Until this summer, Mrs. Ozanne took care of her own lawn and the many flowers which surround her home.  A fall earlier this year, however, has cut down on her physical activity.  "And,", she observed, "the work for the newspapers seems to be getting to be more and more, and, I'm quite busy without taking time out for the yard."
Her present handicap annoys her.  She pointed out she had been ill only twice in her life.  Once was with the measles and the other was with whooping cough.  Both times were while she was teaching and after she cam down with each illness, "the whole school got it."
Like the poem, Mrs. Ozanne has lived her life by the side of a road.  The Green Bay Road has had a historical past, significant in the movement of the nation from east to west.  The road is marked with a bronze plaque, noting that it was established in 1832.  Over it moved the early settlers and pioneers who opened up the vast expanses of the rich Midwest and prairie lands.
From her home, Mrs. Ozanne has watched "the march of progress."  Not all of it has please her, either.  Probably the most severe blow was several years ago when the need for a wider roadway cut keep into her front yard.  Highway engineers took off 60 feet and brought the edge of the road to within a stone's throw of her front door.
Among modern inventions, Mrs. Ozanne has no time for television and she never has been in an airplane.  Inf act, she isn't sure all the new mechanical devises and gadgets have made life any pleasanter than her early days."
(Source:  Racine Journal Times, publication November 4, 1956.)


1887 Partial Somers Map, Berryville area
Section 7, John Curtis parcels
Albion L. Curtis Obituary
"Albion L. Curtis, age 65 years, one of the most prominent retired farmers in Racine or Kenosha Counties, died about 4:20 o'clock this morning, at the family residence, 1414 Wisconsin Street.  Mr. Curtis had been ill about one month, and the immediate cause of his demise was anaemia. 
Mr. Curtis was born in New York state, March 30, 1850, and his parents were Mr. and Mrs. John Curtis.  More than fifty years ago he came to Wisconsin and settled in Somers Township, Kenosha County where he was engaged as a farmer for more than thirty-five years.  At that time the country was practically a wilderness, but by thrift and enterprise Mr. Curtis cultivated a fine farm.  He witnessed the growth and aided the development of the vicinity.
Some years ago Mr. Curtis sold the largest part of his farm to the Chicago & Northwestern railway, where immense freight yards are to be located eventually.
For fifteen years Mr. Curtis lived practically a retired life in Racine.  By the hundreds who knew him he was held in the highest esteem for his many excellencies of character and the upright and honest life he lived.
He was a kind and indulgent father and husband, a man of genial and kindly manner.  He was strictly temperate in his habits, and he enjoyed the confidence of all with whom he came in contact.
There survive his widow, three sons, William Curtis of Fargo; Harold and Ward Curtis of Racine; one daughter, Mrs. Belle White of Racine, and one sister.
The funeral will take place on Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the house, 1414 Wisconsin Street.
(Source:  Racine Journal December 5, 1915)

Clara Amelia Curtis Obituary
"Funeral services over the remains of Miss Clara Amelia Curtis, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A.L. Curtis, 1414 Wisconsin Street were conducted from the family residence by Rev. Haylett at 1 o'clock this afternoon.  There were a large number of relatives and friends present to pay their last tribute to the deceased, who so young in life has passed to the great beyond.  A number of beautiful floral pieces decorated the casket as a testimonial of affection and respect.  A quartet sang appropriate selections.
The pall bearers were Peter Myers, Frank B. Swingle, S.H. Hansche, Alfred Hansche, John Hansche and Julius Hansche.  The remains followed by a long funeral cortege, were driven to Mound Cemetery, where they were interred in the family plot."
(Source:  Racine Journal Oct. 26, 1900)

Thursday, January 19, 2012


Well known Somers Pioneer Passes Away
"Says the Kenosha News:  Jacob Denig, a well known pioneer German farmer of the Town of Somers and a man well known in all parts of the County, died at his home in the Town of  Somers Friday night.  Death was due to the natural decline of old age.   The deceased was 85 years of age and had been born in Germany.  He came to this country many years ago and had been a resident of Somers since the pioneer days.
The funeral will be held from St. George's Church in Kenosha and the remains will be interred at St. George's cemetery.
(Source:  Racine Weekly, November 7, 1905)

Jensen, Eric Andrew and James E.

Somers Lieutenant Writes From Prison Camp in Germany
"Hope that he can "be home for Christmas" is expressed in the first letter which Mr. and Mrs. Nels Jensen of Somers have received from a prison camp at Barth, Germany, from their son Second Lt. Robert Jensen, who was shot down November 13.
Lt. Jensen, who enlisted five years ago, formerly attended Burbank School while he made his home near Racine with Mr. and Mrs. Frank Zitka, in Caledonia.  He had completed 10 missions before he was listed as missing.  In March 1944 he was heard in a broadcast from Germany.  His parents received 33 letters from listeners.  The officer was burned and wounded when he jumped. 
The letter which the parents received this week was dated July 15.  It follows in part:
"Today has been a swell day.  I received three cartons of cigarettes from you, my first mail since I was shot down.  If only I get a letter or two, I'll almost be happy again.  I'm anxious to hear how everyone is, and whether my things were sent home from England.  The cigarettes are like pennies from heaven.  They are the standard medium of exchange here, and any extra I have can be used to buy chocolate and other luxuries.  We all have plenty of clothing now, thanks to the Red Cross.  Hope to be home by Christmas".
(Source:  Racine Journal, October 20, 1944)

James E. Jensen
James E. Jensen, 63, died at his home Wednesday afternoon after a sudden illness.  Born in Somers on November 10, 1914, he was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Eric (Anna) Jensen.  He received his education schools of Somers and graduated from Kenosha High School.
In Kenosha on Aug. 4, 1956, he married the former Marie Denig.
He served in the Air Force from May 1, 1942 until Oct. 11, 1945 with overseas duty in the Asian and Pacific theatre with the 553rd AAF base unit.
He was employed as a machinist by the Eaton Corp. for 24 years and retired on May 31, 1977.
He was a member of the Eagles Club, its golf team, Loyal Order of Moose Lodge 286, Dynamatic Club, and Machines Union Lodge 34.  He was also active in bowling and golfing circles.
Surviving are his wife, Marie; a son, Thomas, and a daughter, Miss Kathleen, both at home; his mother, Mrs. Annie Jensen Smith, Kenosha; three brother, R.V. Jensen, Racine, and Warren and Boyd, both of Kenosha; and four sisters, Mrs. Charles (Alice) Jones, Miss Marie Jensen, and Mrs. Nicholas (Dona) Walls, all of Kenosha, and Mrs. Frances (Julia) Tremmel, Racine.

He was preceded in death by his father, Eric in 1945, and a sister.
(Source:  Racine Journal, Dec. 23, 1977)

U.S. Naturalization Records
Eric Andrew Jensen was born in Denmark Nov 26, 1882.
He arrived June 1889 in New York and was Naturalized Feb. 18, 1918.
Jacob J. Barrows and Adam L. Lytle of Somers were his witnesses.

Thursday, January 12, 2012


John and Mary Bose Wensing
(Source:  Photo courtesy of Jim and Sharon Bose Smith.  Copyright 2012.  All Rights Reserved.)

Partial 1887 Map of Somers Township
Section 7, Wm. Bose 160 acre parcels shows J. Wensing renting 58 acres along railroad. 
John Wensing was born December 1840 in Westfalen, Germany.  He was the son of Gerhard and Maria Anna Elizabeth (known as Elizabeth on all census records)  Huning Wensing.  John's parents, Gerhard and Elizabeth were married in Westfalen November 15, 1846.  Gerhard and Elizabeth departed Antwerp, Belgium August 1856 with their five children, arrived at the Port of New York, and proceeded to Wisconsin.

Passenger List
Gerhard and Elizabeth Wensing family
Departed Antwerp, Belgium August 1856 with five children.  They arrived at the Port of New York September 29, 1856 and settled in Waterford, Racine County, Wisconsin.

Gerhard, age 42, born about 1814
Elizabeth, age 35, born about 1822
Sophia, age 10
Johannes, age 7
Wilhelm, age 5
Adelhaide, age 3
Joseph, 8 months

Also departing from Antwerp, Belgium August 1856 on the same ship were additional Wensing family members listed below.   Gerhard (born about 1814), Theodore (born about 1808), and Johannes (born about 1806) appear to be brothers.

Johannes (John), age 50, born about 1806.
Alieda, age 40
Theodore, age 48
William, age 7
Benjamin, age 6
Gerhard, age 3
Johanna (Anna), 3 months

1860 U.S. Federal Census/Home was Waterford, Racine County, Wisconsin
Garret Wensing, age 45 born about 1815.  Gerhard died June 12, 1895 in Waterford, Racine County.
Elizabeth Wensing, age 38 born about 1822. 
Sophia Wensing, age 15 born about 1846
John Wensing, age 12 born about 1848.
Joseph Wensing, age 6 born about 1845
Anna Wensing, age 2 born in Wisconsin about 1858.  Anna died Nov. 26, 1886 in Racine County.

1900 U.S. Federal Census/Home was Somers, Kenosha County, Wisconsin
John Wensing, age 59
Mary Wensing, age 41 (died Sept. 25, 1901)
Emma Wensing, age 16 (married Samuel Hansche)
William Wensing, age 11
Frederick Wensing, age 6 (WWI Draft Card noted he resided in Detroit, Michigan)
Ada Wensing, age 4 (The 1920 Census states she was single, living in Racine with the Mickelson family)
John Wensing (1845-1932) married Mary Bose (1858-1901) in Kenosha on November 18, 1874.  They operated a farm in Somers Township, Section 7, and rented 58 acres of the 160 acres owned by William Bose, Mary Bose Wensing's father.  See 1887 map below.  Mary Bose is the daughter of William Conrad and Anna Hansche Bose.  John and Mary married November 18, 1874 in Kenosha.  They had four children:  Emma born 1883, William born 1888, Frederick born 1894 and Ada born 1896.  Mary Bose Wensing died at the age of 43 on September 25, 1901.  John died in 1932.

John Wensing was born in Westphalia, Germany and is the son of Gerhard and Marie Anna Elizabeth Huning Wensing (known as Elizabeth on census reports).  The father, Gerhard was born about 1814 and his wife Elizabeth was born about 1822, both in Germany.  They were married in Westphalia, Germany November 15, 1846.  With their five children, Gerhard and Elizabeth departed from Antwerp, Belgium in August 1856 and sailed for America.  The Passenger List journals the family as follows:

Gerhard, age 42
Elizabeth, age 35
Sophia, age 10
Johannes (John), age 7
Wilhelm, age 5
Adelhaide, age 3
Joseph, 8 months

Also departing from Antwerp, Belgium in August 1856 on the same ship, were additional Wensing family members.  The Passenger List journals the family as shown below.  John, Alieda and family settled in Rochester, Racine County according to the 1860 census.  They moved to Iowa, the place where John died in 1870.  Elizabeth, John's mother, moved to Iowa and died there.

Johannes (John), age 50
Alieda, age 40
Theodore, age 48
William, age 7
Benjamin, age 6
Gerhard, age 3
Johanna (Anna), age 3 months

The Gerhard Wensing family settled in Waterford, Racine County, Wisconsin as evidenced by the 1860 U.S. Federal Census:
Garret Wensing, age 45 (occupation listed as wooden shoe maker)
Elizabeth Wensing, age 38
Sophia Wensing, age 15
John Wensing, age 12
Joseph Wensing, age 6
Anna Wensing, age 2 was born in Wisconsin about 1858 and died Nov, 26, 1886 in Racine County.

The 1910 U.S. Federal Census shows William and Christina Wensing living in Mt. Pleasant in Racine County.  By 1920 William and Christina were living in Somers Township with their children:
Laurence, age 9
Harvey, age 7
Leroy, age 6
William, age 4
Alice, age 3
Russell, age 1 
As of the 1930 U.S. Federal Census, the Wensing family moved back to Mt. Pleasant.

Milwaukee City Directory 1887-1888
John P. Wensing, millwright, 595 7th, Milwaukee
Theodore Wensing, carpenter, 595 7th, Milwaukee
Wm. Wensing, blacksmith, 371 Madison
Wm., Jr. Wensing, painter, 371 Madison

Hansche-Wensing Marriage
On December 2, 1905, Mr. Samuel H. Hansche married Miss Emma Wensing, a daughter of John Wensing, one of the earliest settlers of Somers Township.  Miss Emma was born in Somers in 1882.  Samuel Hansche, son of Frederick J. and Fredricka Hansche came to America in 1863 and settled in Mt. Pleasant.

Catherine Wensing Obituary
"Mrs. Catherine Wensing, aged 68 years, died early this morning at her late home, 713 Park Avenue.  She was born and reared in Berryville and later moved to Racine.  She is survived by six children, William Wensing, Mrs. Fred Sauer, of Racine; Charles Wensing, of Milwaukee; Mrs. E. Erdley of Lyons, Wis.; Mrs. B. Nelson of Los Angeles, Calif.; and J. Wensing, Marshfield, Wis.; seven grandchildren, four brothers, Tom Braid, Savanna, Ill.; George Braid of Portland, Ore.; J. Braid, Milwaukee; William Braid, Racine, and three sisters, Mrs. Bose, Berryville; Mrs. Barrows, Genoa Junction.  Burial will be in Mound Cemetery.
(Source:  Racine Journal January 5, 1921)

Angla Wensing Obituary
Mrs. Angela Wensing, one of the pioneer residents of this city and county, widow of the late John Wensing, died on Saturday, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. John Schuster in the Town of Mt. Pleasant at the rip old age of 89.  Deceased was well and favorably known and highly esteemed by a large concourse of friends.  She was a member of the Holy Name Church and of the Mothers Christian Society.  Two children survive, Mrs. John Schuster and John Wensing of Mt. Pleasant and they will have the sympathy of all in their bereavement.  The funeral will take place from the house and from the Holy Name Church."
(Source:  Racine Daily June 15, 1908)

"It is not often that $10,000 is kicked about a street, but such an occurrence is reported from Franklin Street.  When the Barnum & Bailey circus exhibited here John Wensing, a farmer from Central Park, Somers Township, Kenosha County, was robbed of $10,000 in Certificates of Deposit on the three local banks and also a Kenosha bank.  Besides he lost $55 in cash.  The robbery took place on an interurban car.
This morning, James R. Smith of 1776 Franklin Street reported to the officers of the Manufacturers National Bank, his little daughter had found a package of papers laying on DeKoven Avenue near Franklin.  Besides there were other papers laying scattered about.  Gathering them up she carried them home and her father discovered that they were certificates of deposit.  Mr. Wensing was notified and went to the Smith home.  Mr. Wensing was at the police office this afternoon and he will pay the Smith girl the $10 reward.
(Source:  Racine Journal Aug. 20, 1907)

"Nicholas Olle was administrator of John Wensing's estate."
(Source:  Racine Daily Sept. 12, 1900)

Railroad-North Shore

North Shore Passenger Line Station Stops in Somers Township
Map Shows Kenosha Country Club, Hansche Road (Klapproth private drive), Piper Road-County Line
(Source:  Map courtesy of the Lake Forest College Library Special Collection and Archives, Railroads, Donnelley and Lee Library Archive Collection)

North Shore Passenger Line Station Stops in Somers Township
Stops in Somers Township, Birch Road, Bose Road and Berryville Road
(Source: Map courtesy of the Lake Forest College Library Special Collection and Archives, Railroads, Donnelley and Lee Library Archive Collection)

Kenosha Club Buys Golf Course Site
"One of the finest sites for a golf course in the state of Wisconsin has been purchased by the Kenosha County Club through the A.F. Stahl Agency of Kenosha, situated at the intersection of the Berryville Road with the Sheridan Road between Racine and Kenosha.
The purchase of the Kenosha County Club includes 175 acres of land and it is the intention of the club to erect on this land a magnificent clubhouse.  The Lingles (spell?), Lindstroth, and Benson farms make up the parcel of 175 acres, and the consideration, although not made public, should be in the neighborhood of $80,000.00.
The situation of this land is nearly ideal for a country club.  All roads approaching the place are improved, and the main road is a cement highway.  The interurban railway passes right at hand.  Should there ever be a movement to united Racine and Kenosha golfers, this club is easily accessible to Racine and Kenosha.
The Kenosha County club will continue in its present quarters for some time, but an effort will be made to get the new clubhouse and golf links ready for use in 1921.
(Source:  Racine Journal February 28, 1920)

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

School Workbook #3

The Pupil's Workbook in the Geography of Wisconsin
Prepared and Arranged by
Lynn B. Stiles Ginn and Company.
Copyright 1921, 1925. All Rights Reserved
(Source:  Original workbook courtesy of Jim and Sharon Bose Smith.)

What subjects were taught in grade school during the early 1920's? One subject was the Geography of Wisconsin. Below are copies of the workbook Albert Bose studied from when he went to Berryville School in Somers Township. It won't take long to notice that much of the workbook relates to farming. A farmer needs to know much more than milking a cow and planting a field. To be successful, a farmer must be knowledgable in many areas of study especially mathematics. How many questions can you answer?

(Note:  Click on images for larger view.)

School Workbook #2

The Pupil's Workbook in the Geography of Wisconsin
Prepared and Arranged by
Lynn B. Stiles Ginn and Company.
Copyright 1921, 1925. All Rights Reserved
(Source:  Original workbook courtesy of Jim and Sharon Bose Smith)
What subjects were taught in grade school during the early 1920's? One subject was the Geography of Wisconsin. Below are copies of the workbook Albert Bose studied from when he went to Berryville School in Somers Township. It won't take long to notice that much of the workbook relates to farming. A farmer needs to know much more than milking a cow and planting a field. To be successful, a farmer must be knowledgable in many areas of study especially mathematics. How many questions can you answer?

(Note: Click on images for larger view.)