Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Bradley, Almer

(Source: Portrait and Biographical Album of Racine and Kenosha Counties. Lake City Publishing Co. Chicago. 1892.)
Almer H. Bradley
Almer H. Bradley, a farmer and market gardener, has resided on Section 5, Somers Township, Kenosha County, since 1868.  He was born in the town of Wallingford, New Haven County, Conn., February 22, 1844, and comes of an old New England family.  His father, David Bradley, was also a native of New Haven County, where he was reared to manhood and, after attaining his majority, married Abbie Peck, who was also born in that locality.  Mr. Bradley was a mechanic by trade, and followed his chosen occupation in Wallingford, throughout his entire life.  He died in 1889.  Mrs. Bradley, Almer’s mother, died when the lad was eleven years.
At his mother’s death, Almer Bradley was adopted by his uncle, who was then living in Kenosha County, Wisconsin, whither he came in the winter of 1856.  Stephen Peck, his uncle, was one of the very early settlers of this locality, where he had made a settlement in 1838, when the country round about was almost an unbroken wilderness.  He made a claim and purchased the land from the government when it came into market.  With Mr. Peck, Almer resided until during war, having in the meantime acquired a good English education in the common schools.  On the 20th of August, 1863, he joined the boys in blue of the First Wisconsin Heavy Artillery as a member of Battery C, and was sent to Chattanooga[1].  He served until the close of the war and participated with his regiment in the battery of Missionary Ridge and Lookout Mountain.  At the front he remained until the close of the war. When he was honorably discharged from the service and mustered out in Madison, in August, 1865.  Returning then to the home of his uncle, he there remained until 1866, when he went back to his native State and was employed in silver plate works at West Meriden, Conn., for about two years.
During the interval spent in Connecticut, Mr. Bradley was married on the 7th of November, 1867, to Miss Sarah A. Peck, who was born in Salem, Kenosha County, Wisconsin, and is a daughter of Stephen Peck.  At the request of his father-in-law, Mr. Bradley returned to Kenosha County, and took charge of the farm and business, while upon Mr. and Mrs. Peck, who were now in their declining years, were bestowed all the care and attention which would make their last days peaceful and happy.  Since 1868, therefore, Mr. Bradley has resided upon his present farm in the Town of Somers and is ranked among the leading agriculturists of the community.  In 1891 he was called upon to mourn his wife, who died on the 27th of June.  For twenty-four years she had been to him a true and faithful helpmate. And her death has been to him the greatest sorrow of his life.  She was a true Christian lady, an active worker in the church, and was beloved by all who knew her.  The two daughters of the family are Etta A. and Fannie M.  The former was graduated from the Three Oaks High School, and was also for one year a student in the Normal at Whitewater, Wisconsin, after which she became a successful teacher.
On December 1, 1891, Miss Etta A. Bradley was married to William J. Hansche, a native of Racine County.  His occupation is that of an agriculturist and market gardener.  The young couple will make their residence in Mt. Pleasant Township, where they are both well known as young people of high social standing and prominence.  Both Mr. and Mrs. Hansche are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, known as the Lake Shore Methodist Episcopal Church.  Mr. Hansche is a gentlemen of good liberal education, and is a friend of good schools.  He was formerly a Republican, but now advocates the principles of Prohibition.  Miss Fannie is also a well-educated young lady, and a graduate of the Racine High School.
In religious belief Mr. Bradley is a Methodist, and an active worker in the church.  He has also been Superintendent of the Sabbath-school for about ten years.  In politics he is a Republican, having supported that party since attaining his majority, but has never been an aspirant for public office.  Socially he is a member of Gov. Harvey Post, No. 17, G.A.R., of Racine, and is highly esteemed by his army comrades.  The upright and honorable life which he has led has won him the confidence and good wishes of all with whom he has come in contact and few men are more widely known in this community than A.H. Bradley.  He was a faithful soldier of this country in her hour of peril, and is likewise a true and valued citizen in the days of peace.
(Source: Portrait and Biographical Album of Racine and Kenosha Counties. Lake City Publishing Co. Chicago. 1892.)

[1] Additional Information from 1890 Wisconsin Veteran’s Schedule.  Battery C sent to Fort Wood, Chattanooga..  January 1864 it was sent to Fort Creighton and in May moved to Fort Sherman.  On March 29, 1865, it moved to Athens, Tenn.

Sunday, December 18, 2011

1967 New Town Hall

New Town Hall 1967
Somers officials of pioneer families:  Edquist, Newman, Leet
(Source:  Kenosha News December 1,1967)

New Town Hall 1967
Somers officials Bishop, Ebener, Huck
(Source: Kenosha News December 1,1967)

Somers School

(Source:  The Racine Journal Times, August 15, 1967)

Dedicate New School Building at Somers June 4, 1904
"Says the Kenosha News:  Arrangements have been completed for the dedication of the new school building in the Town of Somers, and exercises of dedication will be held on the historic spot on Saturday, June 4.  The new building for District No. 2 is now completed and the patrons of the district have decided to make the dedication of it an event which will awaken many reminiscences of the early history of the schools of the county.  In order to have the old days recalled, an invitation has been sent out to all of the former teachers and students of the old school and many of them have promised to be present and take part in the dedicatory ceremonies."
(Source:  Racine Journal, May 27, 1904)

Somers Schools in the News
"Somers Schools Hire Faculties for 1956-1957 School Year"
School Board members of Hillcrest State Graded School have reported the hiring of teachers for the coming school year.  They are Misses Carol Poynter, Gail Gilmore, Donna Tyler, Virginia Wacek, Nancy Hageborn, Mrs. Ronald Franke and Mrs. Jane Wuttje.
A two-room addition to the six-classroom school building now is under construction.  It is expected to be completed by September in time for opening of classes.  An enrollment of an additional 20 students is expected in the fall.  Current enrollment is 175 pupils.
Mrs. Donald Smith will return as teacher at Pike River School for the coming year.
Three teachers also have been engaged to teach at Bullamore Forks State Graded School.  They are Mmes. Edna McConethy, Jeannine Everett and Miss Elizabeth Thuring.
Three teachers have been hired for the coming year at Washington State Graded School.  They are Mmes. Paul Ghyseis, Martha Cummings and Miss Esther Nelson.
Berryville State Graded School has 11 teachers hired for the coming school year.  They are George Wind, principal, Mmes. Blenne Malloy, Agnes Sorenson, George Feest, Jerome Jensen, James Saaf, Bertha Amdahl, and Selma Kenders, and Misses Nancy Paulson, Hazel Havel and Priscilla Hastings.
Burr Oak State Graded School has engaged two teachers for the coming school year.  They are Misses Lillian Hvitved and Phyliss Nelson."
(Source:  Racine Journal May 25, 1956)

"In the course of a few months one of the old land marks of our town will, in all probablility cease to exist, as a meeting of the electors of the joint school district No. 7 of Mt. Pleasant and Somers was held on Monday evening and it was decided to build a new school house.  The present building is one of the oldest of its kind in the county and it is doubtful if there is a person in the district who will oppose the move that has been taken.  The old building has been repaired a number of times and the fact that there is not room to accommodate all the children of the district, proves the necessity of erecting a new building.  Another meeting to make final arrangments will be held on Monday evening, July 31, and every voter of the disdtrict should make it a point to be be present."
(Source:  Racine Daily July 25, 1905)


 Henry Klapproth
Henry Klapproth, who was engaged in farming on Section 6, Somers Township, Berryville, was born on April 18, 1855 in Gittelde, a small iron ore mining village in the Harz Mountain range of Germany.  At the age of nineteen, Henry Klapproth became a certified Journeyman Cooper and proceeded to travel to France and other places in Germany to find work.  By the age of twenty four, he found the wars had left the impoverished German people little to rebuild their homes and lives and on March 20, 1880 Henry sailed to America looking for a better life, arriving at the Port of Baltimore .  He immediately proceeded to Racine to live with his sister, Louisa Klapproth Krueger and her husband C.F. Krueger who arrived in Wisconsin in 1868 and whom later bought a farm on the lake shore in Somers Township, Section 6.  Henry secured work at the Mitchell Wagon Company in Racine.
On January 16, 1884 Henry Klapproth married Emilie Willhelmina Sasse, at First Evangelical Church in Racine.  Emilie was born in Germany on March 22, 1857 and was the daughter of Carle and Emilie Sasse who who neighbors of his sister.   Three children were born of this union: Conrad of Ohio, William who died of injuries resulting of an auto accident in Racine; and Henry, Jr. of Camp Douglas, Wisconsin.  On March 18, 1893, Emilie had surgery at St. Mary's Hospital and died at the age of 37, leaving Henry widowed with three small children.  Emilie was buried in Mound Cemetery, Racine. 

Emilie Sasse Klapproth
(Source:  Photo from personal collection of Jacqueline Klapproth Nelson. Copyright 2011.  All Rights Reserved.)
Henry married the second time to Catherine Fox Fruedenberg on July 3, 1893 at the home he built on Hagerer Street in Racine.  Catherine was born in Caledonia, Racine County, on September 19, 1860 and was the daughter of Michael and Christine (Schmidt) Fox, German pioneers.  Henry has saved his earnings, sold his house in Racine, and moved to the farm he purchased in 1905 in Berryville, living about a mile from his sister.
 Henry and Catherine had three children: Daniel August married Vernetta Rolfs and they lived on the farm homestead in Berryville; Viola Christine married Anthony P. Heidenreich of Racine; and Lillian Christiane who married Frank Sahorske of Racine.

Katherine and Henry Klapproth
(Source:  Photo pesonal collection of Jacqueline Klapproth Nelson.  Copyright 2011.  All Rights Reserved.)

1887 Partial Somers Map
Section 6, H. Klapproth 20 acre parcel
Kenosha County Land Records show Henry Klapproth purchased from Maria Madson March 1, 1905 who purchased it from Chester Barrows November 24, 1902.

Henry and Catherine purchased twenty acres of farm land in Section 6, Somers Township in the neighborhood known as Berryville on March 1, 1905.  This 20 acres is now a portion of the Kenosha County Club.  Henry Klapproth farmed this parcel for ten years at which time he sold all 20 acres in 1915 and then proceeded to purchase a  farm from the Hansche's of thirty two and three quarter acres on March 23, 1915 of which land is located directly east across the road.  Katherine died March 20, 1928 and Henry died February 21, 1932.  Katherine and Henry's son, Daniel continued to operate the farm until his death in 1935.  His wife Vernetta continued the farm operation with the help of her family and five children, Sherwood, Daniel, Shirley, Irvin and Melvin.

Klapproth Farm, purchased March 1915
Berryville, Somers Township
Section 6.  32.75 acres
(Source:  Photo courtesy of personal collection of Jacqueline Klapproth Nelson.  Copyright 2011.  All Rights Reserved.)

 The Klapproth Diary and Supply Cost List - 1915
The Klapproth farm was purchased in March 1915 and a diary was kept by Henry's son, Henry, Jr. during the first year.  The budget has been retyped however the April 6, 1915 - May 12, 1915 diary is a scan of the original.  Thank you to Henry's granddaughter, Carol Klapproth Isgrow of Ohio for sharing this diary.

1915 Budget for Farm Supplies
Plow $12.00
Disc $18.00
Fine tooth cultivator $4.00
Harness, collar and halters $64.00
Horse blanket $1.25
Ax handle $0.10
Bag of fertilizer $1.57
Pitch Fork $0.65
Wheel Barrow $1.95
Four shoes for horse $0.50
Lawn Mower $9.00
Three horses $175.00
Five cows $350.00
Forty chickens $40.00

1915 Budget for Household and Misc. Items
Alarm Clock $1.00
Cord of Wood $0.16
Ham, whole per pound $0.18
Eggs, per dozen $0.20
Butter, per pound $0.28
Flour, 25 pound bag $1.10
Tea Kettle $0.58
Mouse Trap $0.10
Wash Board $0.45
Apron $0.35
1,300 pounds of heating coat $6.75
Toy Wagon $0.75
Ladies Purse $1.25
One gallon of paint $2.00
Sole and heels on shoes $0.85
Canvas Gloves $1.30
Man's Haircut $0.35
Sunday Newspaper $0.05
Film for camera $0.25
Hunting License $1.25
Ladies Silk Stockings $0.90

Klapproth 1915 Farm Diary April 6, 1915 to May 12, 1915

World War I and Germans
Although World War I started in 1914, the effects of the war did not impact German immigrants until President Wilson issued a law on November 16, 1917 which required all male alien enemies to register at their county offices.  This registration card was required to be on the person at all times or they would be subject to arrest and detention for the period of the war.  Of those German immigrants like Henry Klapproth who did not complete Naturalization Papers before the war, he was subject to restrictions even though he had arrived in the United States in 1880 -  thirty seven years prior.
President Wilson issued the same for females on April 18, 1918.  Although Catherine Klapproth was born in Racine and officially a citizen, she was married to an alien and was subject to the same.
Below are World War I Registration identification papers.

Katherine Klapproth
World War I Registration Identification

Henry Klapproth
World War I Registration Identification

More About Klapproth
"For Sale - Good Milch cows.  Route #4, Box 31.  H. Klapproth.  Berryville."
(Source:  Racine Journal, publication date, November 8, 1912)

"For Sale - 30,000 Strawberry plants.  Henry Klapproth.  Berryville"
(Source:  Racine Journal, publication date May 31, 1913)

" For Sale - 50,000 Glen Mary strawberry plants.  $2.00 per 1,000.  Henry Klapproth.  Berryville."
(Source:  Racine Journal, publication date April 29, 1916)

"For Sale - 50,000 Cabbage plants.  H. Klapproth.  Berryville."
(Source:  Racine Journal, publication date July 2, 1917)

"Wanted - Berry pickers for Monday morning.  None but good pickers need apply.  Henry Klapproth.  Hansche Road, Berryville."
(Source:  June 21, 1919)

Taking Hay to Barn
Klapproth Farm
(Source:  Photo from personal collection of Jacqueline Klapproth Nelson.  Copyright 2011.  All Rights Reserved.)

Irvin and Melvin Klapproth and their favorite horse "Scotty"
(Source: Photo from personal collection of Jacqueline Klapproth Nelson. Copyright 2011. All Rights Reserved.)

Shirley, Daniel, Sherwood, Melvin, Irvin Klapproth.  Circa 1930's.
(Source: Photo from personal collection of Jacqueline Klapproth Nelson. Copyright 2011.  All Rights Reserved.)

Sherwood Klapproth harvesting wheat with his "red" Oliver tractor.  Circa 1958.
(Source: Photo from personal collection of Jacqueline Klapproth Nelson. Copyright 2011. All Rights Reserved.)


Christian Friedrick and Louisa Klapproth Krueger
(Photo Source:  City and Kenosha County Record of Settlement by Frank H. Lyman, Vol. II, Chicago, S.J. Clarke 1916)

Christian Friedrich Krueger
C.F. Kreuger, who is a highly esteemed resident of Somers Township, has been identified with agricultural interests in Kenosha County for many years and is now living retired, having gained a competence by his well directed labors.  His birth occurred in Germany in 1837, and he received a good common school education that country.  Later he learned the wagon maker’s trade, which he followed successfully until he was thirty-one years of age, when, in 1868, he emigrated to the United States.  He at once made his way to the middle west and for four years worked at his trade in Racine, Wisconsin, at the end of which time he purchased sixty-three acres on Section 6, Somers Township, Kenosha County, where he has since resided.  In the meantime, however, he disposed of part of his land but still holds title to twenty-nine acres.  He has improved his farm in various ways and while actively engaged in agricultural pursuits he was recognized as one of the most progressive and most successful farmers of his locality.  He managed his business affairs well and practiced thrift and in time gained a competence that now enables him to enjoy a period of leisure.
In 1868 occurred the marriage of Mr. Krueger to Miss Louisa Klapproth and they became the parents of eight children but only three survive, namely Mathilde, (Tillie) now Mrs. Frank Linstroth, who has four children: Emma, now Mrs. William Scheckler, who resides in Racine and has three children; Herman F. who married Lydia Limper and is farming in Somers Township.
Mr. Krueger believes in the principles of the Republican Party but at local elections supports the best man irrespective of his political affiliation.  His religious faith in indicated by his membership on the Evangelical Association  and has many sterling traits of character have gained him the respect of all who know him.  The success which he has gained is due entirely to his own efforts as when he began his independent career he had neither capital nor influential friends.
(Source: City and Kenosha County Record of Settlement by Frank H. Lyman, Vol. II, Chicago, S.J. Clarke 1916)

C.F. Krueger and Louisa Klapproth Krueger Obituaries

Louise Klapproth Krueger Obituary
Newsclipping from personal collection of Jacqueline Klapproth Nelson

C.F. Kruger Obituary
Obituary newslipping from the personal collection of Jacqueline Klapproth Nelson
More About The Krueger Family
Louise Klapproth Krueger was born October 2, 1844 in Hannover/Brunswick Germany.  She was the daughter of Heinrich Christian Friedrich Klapproth and Hanne Justine Louise Christiane Pinnecke Klapproth of Germany.  Christian Friedrick Krueger was born February 13, 1837 in Germany.  C.F. and Louise were married in Germany May 12, 1868.

Children of C.F. and Louise Krueger: Birth records below from First Evangelical Church parish records.

Mathilde (Tille) Emilie Krueger, born August 24, 1869 in Racine.  She married Frank Linstroth October 20, 1892 at First Evangelical Church in Racine.  They had four children:  Friedrich Heinrich (Fred), Edward H., Gladice Louise (Gladys) and Frank Wesley.
Louise Ottolie Krueger, born October 23, 1870 in Racine.  Louise died February 21, 1891 of acute pharyngitist.  Buried in Mound Cemetery, Racine.
Herman Friedrich Krueger, born February 14, 1872 in Racine.  Herman married Lydia Sophia Limper about 1900 in Sheboygan.  They had four children: Edward Charles, Alice, George Leslie, and Grace Lydia.  Herman died of prostrate cancer with spread to lungs and spine on August 10, 1943 in Kenosha and is buried at Green Ridge Cemetery in Kenosha. 
Edward Hugo Krueger born September 5, 1873 in Racine.  He died at Berryville on October 27, 1897 and is buried in Mound Cemetery, Racine.
Emma Martha Krueger born July 15, 1875 in Racine.  She married William Scheckler March 8, 1894 at First Evangelical Church in Racine.  They had three children:  Guy and Myrtle (twins) and Edward.
Martha Helena Krueger born November 17, 1877 in Racine.  She died in Berryville on July 24, 1890 and is buried in Mound Cemetery in Racine.
Lydia Amalia Krueger born December 27, 1881 in Berryville.  Lydia married G. Walter Derby (also from Berryville) on September 18, 1906 at First Evangelical Church in Racine.  Witnesses for marriage were John Hansche and Hattie Krueger.  Lydia died age age 40, the same day as her infant son.
Hadwig (Hattie) Hermina Krueger born June 10, 1911 in Berryville.  Died at the age of 24 of pulmonary tuberculosis.  Buried in Mound Cemetery, Racine.
(Source:  Courthouse records, First Evangelical Church parish records researched and collected by Jacqueline Klapproth Nelson)

"The Ladies' Aid Society of Berryville will give an ice cream social at Krueger's Grove on Thursday evening, July 26, to which everybody is cordially invited."
(Source:  The Telegraph Courier, July 26, 1926)

"Mrs. Herman Krueger is spending some time with her daughter, Mrs. A. Kleunder, in Milwaukee.  Mrs. Tillie Lindstroth is staying at the Krueger home."
(Source:  Racine Journal Feb. 28, 1935)

Emma Martha Kruger Scheckler and William Scheckler Children
Guy and Myrtle were twins born October 3, 1895 in Mt. Pleasant, Racine County, Wisconsin.  Miss Myrtle Scheckler died January 1984.  Her last known address was Franksville, Wisconsin.
Guy B. Scheckler died 1938.
Edward W. was born Dec. 21, 1905.  He died Aug. 14, 1958 in Kenosha.  He married Bernice Rhode in 1928.

1877 Class of Berryville School

(Source:  Photo Courtesy of Kenosha News June 15, 1935 Centennial Edition)


1908 Partial Map of Somers Township
Section 6, H. Linstroth parcel
(Note:  Also is Section 6, parcel owned by H. Klapproth is relative and Section 6, parcel owned by C.F. Krueger is relative. See this web site for further information)

Frank and Matilda Krueger Linstroth October 20, 1892
(Photo: Courtesy of Ancestry.com public site of kaybriggs53)
Frank Linstroth
Frank Linstroth, who is operating a farm on Section 6 in Somers Township was born upon that place on the 22d of September 1866, a son of Henry and Mary (Rapp) Linstroth, both natives of Germany.  The father, whose birth occurred on the 19th of July 1828 began working as a farm hand in his native country after completing his public school course.  He remained there until 1855, when he crossed the Atlantic to the United States and made his way to St. Louis, where he remained for a year.  At the end of that time he came to Kenosha County, Wisconsin where he lived during the remainder of his life.  He worked at the shoemaker's trade and also operated the forty-seven acres on which he lived.  He supported the Republican party at the polls and served as a member of both town and school boards.  In religious faith he was a German Lutheran and belonged to the church of that denomination at Racine, being one of its oldest members at the time of his demise.
He was married on the 12th of May, 1858 to Miss Mary Rapp, who survives and resides with our subject.  Mr. and Mrs. Henry Linstroth became the parents of five children:  Fred and Henry, deceased; Chris, who married Helen Rode and has three children; Frank, a twin of Chris, and one who died in infancy.
Frank Linstroth received his education in the common schools of Somers Township, which he attended until he was fifteen years of age.  From that time until his father's death he assisted the latter with the operation of the home farm, and he still resides upon that place, which he is now farming on his own account.  He keeps everything about the place in excellent condition and as he is enterprising and practical is meeting with gratifying success as an agriculturist.
Mr. Linstroth was married on the 20th of October 1892, to Miss Mathilda Krueger, and they have four children:  Fred, Edward, Gladys, who is attending business college, and Wesley, at home.  In religious faith he is a Methodist.
(Source:  City and County of Kenosha A Record of Settlement by Frank H. Lyman, Vol. II, Chicago, S.J. Clark Publishing Co., 1916)

More about Mathilda "Tillie" and Frank Linstroth
Date of Marriage"  October 20, 1892 at First Evangelical Church in Racine
Friedrich Heinrich (Fred) born September 25, 1893 in Racine
Edward H. born about 1897
Gladice Louise (Gladys) born January 31, 1899 in Somers
Frank Wesley born october 4, 1900 in Somers
(Source:  Personal Family History of Jacqueline Klapproth Nelson

1877 Partial Map of Somers Township
Herman Linstroth parcel, Section 6, Berryville
Note: Kenosha County Land Records state Henry Linstroth purchased acres February 21, 1856 and February 20, 1867, March 17, 1873, January 17, 1882, and October 22, 1886.

Linstroth and Rapp
Note:  See additional information about the Rapp family, who were neighbors of the Linstroth's on this web site.

Linstroth and Krueger
Note:  See additional information about the Krueger family, who were neighbors of the Linstroth's on this web site.

More About Linstroth
"The apron sale at the home of Mrs. Frank Linstroth of Berryville should be well attended as the proceeds are to go toward the payment of a piano recently purchased by the PTA of Berryville School."
(Source:  Racine Journal March 29, 1922)

"Wanted:  Onion weeder.  Take North Shore Line south to Berryville Road.  Good wages.  Fred Linstroth, farmer."
(Source:  Racine Journal June 14, 1919)

"Man leaves rig at Berryville after departing at night.  Queer actions.  Residents of Berryville reported the queer actions of a young man who drove into that place yesterday afternoon and left his horse and buggy at the farmhouse of Frank Linstroth.  The fellow took the first car that came along for Kenosha , saying that he was going to Kenosha first, then to Racine, and would be back after the outfit at 6 o’clock.  He failed to return last night and the rig was still there at 10 o’clock this morning, and the farmers are now wondering what has become of the owner.  Some are of the opinion that the outfit was stolen and abandoned and others that the owner came to this city, became intoxicated and forgot all about his property."
(Source:  Racine Journal October 31, 1907)

"Yesterday was a notable day in the lives of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Linstroth of Berryville, it being the fiftieth anniversary of their wedding day.  While they had made arrangements to spend the day in quiet at their home near the new electric line at Berryville, their son and friends had arranged differently and the celebration which was held came as a great surprise to the aged and popular couple.
Mr. and Mrs. Linstroth were united in marriage May 12, 1857 in the German Lutheran Church on Villa Street, the ceremony being performed by Rev. Jacob Conrad who was the pastor at that time.  To them were born two sons, Frank, of Berryville, and Chris of this city.  For fifty years they made their home on the farm where they now reside and regularly attended divine service at the church in this city.  Yesterday they attended the service in the morning and remained for the special service immediately after.  At this service attention was called to the fact that it was their golden wedding anniversary and they were congratulated by their many friends and acquaintances.
In the afternoon fifty of their local friends called on them at their home where a regular service was held, being conducted by Rev. Emil Wauther, who is taking the place of Rev. Conrad Jaeger, the regular pastor.  At this time a letter from Rev. Jaeger was read in which was contained his congratulations.  The residence was beautifully decorated with yellow flowers.  They were presented with a number of fine gold gifts, tokens of the high esteem in which they are held by their many friends, both in the city and county."
(Source:  Racine Journal May 13, 1907)

"Miss Gladys Linstroth, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Linstroth of Berryville, and Harold Smith, of Kenosha, were married Saturday afternoon, September 25.  L.M. Hargett performed the ceremony."
(Source:  Racine Journal September 29, 1920)

"Mr. and Mrs. Frank Linstroth of Berryville celebrated their 20 year wedding anniversary.  The high school orchestra furnished the music for the occasion.  The home was decorated in autumn leaves, flowers and leaves."
(Source:  Racine Journal October 24, 1912)

"On the 21st day of April 1910, Mr. Henry Linstroth of Berryville passed away at the age of 82."
(Source:  Racine Journal April 21, 1910)

"Mrs. Mary Linstroth, widow of the late Henry Linstroth, died at her home in Berryville, at 10 o'clock Saturday night at the age of 84 years and 6 months.  She was born in Germany in 1833 and came to this country when a young woman.  She was married on May 12, 1857 to Henry Linstroth.  Two of the four children survive:  Frank who is living on the homestead and Chris of Racine.  Mrs. Linstroth was a charter member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church on Villa Street in Racine.  She was a kind and loving wife and mother and a woman of a quiet-disposition."
(Source:  Racine Journal June 24, 1918)

Frank Linstroth Obituary
(Source:  Racine Journal cut out from personal collection of Jacqueline Klapproth Nelson)

Fred Linstroth
(Photo Source: Personal Collection of Jacqueline Klapproth Nelson. Copyright 2012. All Rights Reserved.)

Gladys Linstroth, circa 1917
(Photo Source:  Personal Collection of Jacqueline Klapproth Nelson.  Copyright 2012.  All Rights Reserved.)

Dutch Linstroth
(Photo Source: Personal Collection of Jacqueline Klapproth Nelson. Copyright 2012. All Rights Reserved.)

Thursday, December 15, 2011


James Henry Murray
James Henry Murray passed his entire life in Kenosha County and concentrated his energies upon farming, being one of the most successful and most practical agriculturists of his locality.  He was a representative of one of the pioneer families of this section of the state and his birth occurred in Paris Township, Kenosha County, October 21, 1852.
His father, Patrick Murray, was born in County Mayo, Ireland, and grew to manhood in his native country.  He worked there as a laborer until 1835, when he came to America in order to take advantage of the unusually good opportunities offered here to the poor man.  After working for a time on the Erie Canal, he removed to Lockport, Illinois, whence he came to Kenosha County, being one of the first settlers here.  He at once purchased forty acres of land and later bought an additional ten acres, and there he resided for many years, passing away in 1879, when he had reached the advanced age of eighty years.  He engaged in farming and by energy and thrift accumulated a competence.  Both he and his wife were members of the Catholic church and guided their lives by its teachings.
She was born in County Down, Ireland, and also lived beyond the  Psalmist's three score years and ten, as she was seventy-four years old when her death occurred in Kenosha County in 1901.  Her father removed with his family from Ireland to Kenosha County at an early day in its history and after living for a time at Paris located in Pleasant Prairie Township, where he died when almost a hundred years of age.  His wife reached the age of ninety-four years.  They were the parents of two sons and three daughters:  James, a resident of Neenah, Wisconsin; Patrick of Kenosha; Ann the wife of J.P. Callahan of Kenosha;  Mrs. Bridget Murray; and Catherine who married a Mr. McDonald and is now deceased.
To Mrs. and Mrs. Patrick Murray were born eleven children, namely: Sarah now Mrs. George Shanley, Jr. of Brighton Township, Kenosha County; Mary the wife of Frank Farrell of Sioux City, Iowa; Rose the deceased wife of James McCarthy of Fargo, North Dakota; Margaret the wife of John McCann of Osage, Mitchell County, Iowa; James Henry of Somers Township; Dominick of Woodstock, Illinois; Catherine the wife of James Leonard of Albion, Nebraska; Alice who married William E. Heidersdorf of Paris and Somers Township; Frank of Ogema, Price County, Wisconsin; Ellen who married Frank Garland of Waukegan, Illinois; and William, deceased.
James Henry Murray grew to manhood upon the home farm in Paris Township and in the acquirement of his early education attended the district schools.  Subsequently he became a student in a seminary at Osage, Iowa, and after residing in that town for two years and eight months he began teaching.  For fourteen years he devoted his winters to educational work, while during the summer seasons he followed agricultural pursuits.  He stood high among the teachers of the county, proving successful in imparting knowledge and also in training his pupils in habits of industry and concentration.  Following his marriage, he rented a fine farm of two hundred and nine-seven acres of Section 30, and a year later he purchased the place, which he cultivated until called by death.  He made many substantial improvements upon the farm and as the years passed his well directed labors enabled him to gain financial independence.  He raised both grain and stock and in his methods was at once practical and progressive.  He passed away on the 16th of November, 1907.
On the 28th of September 1880, occurred the marriage of Mr. Murray and Sarah A. Craney, a daughter of John and Johanna (O'Leary) Craney, both natives of Ireland, the father of County Down and the mother of County Cork.  The paternal grandfather, James Craney, was a linen manufacturer of Ireland and passed away in that country in middle life.  He and his wife had five sons and two daughters:  John, James, William, Michael, Bernard, Margaret, and Mary.  The O'Leary family emigrated to Canada many years ago, giving up a large property in Ireland rather than surrender their religious faith.  Mr. and Mrs. John Craney both emigrated to Canada from Ireland and were married in the Dominion, where they continued to reside for some time.  At length, however, they came to the United States and settled in Kenosha County when it was still a frontier region.  Mr. Craney engaged in farming and was very successful in that connection, at one time owning six hundred acres of land in Paris Township, Kenosha County.  He died on the 9th of January 1881 when sixty-seven years old and was survived by his wife until August 24, 1901, her death occurring when she was eighty-four years old.  They were the parents of four sons and six daughters, seven of whom survive, namely:  James, who is living near Independence, Iowa; Jeremiah of Los Angeles, California; Rose the wife of George Magill of Kenosha; Mary the wife of Michael Kelley of Bristol Township; Margaret the wife of William J. Ryan; Mrs. Sarah Murray; and William J. of Kenosha.  Mrs. Murray is a graduate of St. Clara's Seminary at Sinsinawa Mound, Wisconsin and taught school in Kenosha County for several years previous to her marriage.  She is the mother of five children, namely: John C who married Agnes McKenna and is a machinist in Kenosha; James P.; Irene, who is teaching school; Alice who was valedictorian of her class when she was graduated from the College of Commerce at Kenosha in 1905; and Arthur Jerome.
Mr. Murray was a Democrat and took the interest of a good citizen in political affairs, although never an office seeker.  He however served for several years as school treasurer of district No. 8 and during that time did all in his power to further educational advancement.  He was connected with Camp No. 828 Modern Woodmen of America at Somers Township and in religious faith he was a Roman Catholic.
(Source:  City and County of Kenosha Record of Settlement by Frank H. Lyman, Vol. II, Chicago, S.J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1916)

1887 Partial map of Somers Township, Kenosha County
Section 30, J.H. Murray owned two parcels:  80 acres and 140 acres

Census Information
1900 U.S. Census listed James H. and Sarah home was Somers Township, Kenosha County
1905 Wisconsin State Census listed James H. and Sarah home was Somers Township, Kenosha County
1910 U.S. Census listed James H. and Sarah home was Somers Township, Kenosha County and also a brother, Arthur J., lived with James and Sarah in 1910.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011


Mathias Neu
Mathias Neu, who owns an excellent farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Paris township, still resides upon that place although it is operated by others.  His birth occurred in Sulm, Kreis, Bittburg, Rhine, Province of Prussia, on the 13th of January 1850.  His parents were Valentine and Eva (Lawrence) Neu, the former born in 1819 and the latter in 1827.  The father was a well to do  farmer and passed his entire life in the fatherland, dying in 1863.  He had survived his wife for thirteen years, as she was called by death in 1850.  They were married in 1845 and had two children:  Herbert, who was a successful farmer in Germany and died in 1914; and Mathias.  The religious faith of the family was that of the Roman Catholic Church.
Mathias Neu received a good education in the public schools of Germany and after putting aside his textbooks engaged in farming until 1873, when as a young man of twenty-three years he came to the United States as he wished to avoid compulsory service in the German army.  He first located in Chicago and there worked in a lumberyard for six months, after which he went to Iowa.  Four months later he returned to Chicago but in December 1873 arrived in Kenosha County.  During that winter he worked on a farm for his board and for the following three years he was employed as a farm hand.  In 1877 he bought eighty-two acres of land with his savings and subsequently he purchased his present farm of one hundred and sixty acres.  He operated both places and his well directed labors broght him a good annual return.  He managed his business affairs well and in time accumulated a competence which now enables him to live retired.  When he took up the occupation of farming he owned two hundred and forty-two acres of land but has since disposed of eighty-two acres, still retaining title to the one hudred sixty acre farm, which he rents.
Mr. Neu was united in marriage in Racine in 1876, to Miss Elizabeth Honold, who was born in Paris Township, and they had five children: Hobart, who is employed in the shops in Racine' George, who is farming one hundred and sixty acres of land in Somers Township; Phillip also farming in Somers Township; John, who is farming in Paris Township; and Nicholas, a milk dealer in Racine.  The wife and mother passed away in 1886 and in 1887 Mr. Neu was married to Elizabeth Huck, of Paris Township, by whom he has four children:  August who is farming in somers Township; Josephine the wife of Nicholas Wilcomb, a farmer of Paris Township' Agnes who married Frank Bowers; and Joseph who is employed at farm work in Iowa.
(Source:  City and County of Kenosha, A Record of Settlement by Frank H. Lyman, Vol. II, Chicago, S.J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1916)

1887 Partial Map of Somers Township
Section 18 - Mathias New (Neu)
Note:  Section 7 - 80 acres of J. Huck father of Elizabeth Huck Neu. 
The 1908 Somers map shows Section 7 owned by Mathias Neu.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011


William Rogers
William Rogers belongs to that quota of substantial citizens that England has furnished to Kenosha County.  He was born in Cornwall on the 15th of August, 1840 a son of William and Ann (Johns) Rogers, who in the year 1850 crossed the Atlantic with their family to the United States.  They first settled in northern Michigan and afterward removed to Kenosha County, where their remaining days were passed.  Mr. Rogers died in 1892, having for a decade survived his wife, whose death occurred in 1882.  Both were laid to rest in one of Kenosha's cemeteries.
William Rogers was a little lad of ten years when he accompanied his parents to the new world and in the mines of northern Michigan he was employed about twelve years.  In the spring of 1866 he came to Kenosha County and for three years was engaged in farming in Somers Township in connection with his father.  On the expiration of that period he went to Colorado and for three years worked in the mines, after which he again came to this state and once more resumed agricultural pursuits in connection with his father on Section 22, Somers Township.  Later, however, he purchased eighty acres of land known as the Newman place and to this tract he has added as his financial resources have permitted until he is now the owner of one hundred and fifty-seven acres.  He has brought his farm under a high state of cultivation and it is an attractive property by reason of its well tilled fields, its excellent buildings and the high grade of stock seen upon the farm.
On the 22nd of May 1876, Mr. Rogers was united in marriage to Miss Mary S. Buswell, daughter of Moses C. and Lucy Jane (Gardner) Buswell, who were early settlers of this county, arriving here in 1843.  The father was born in New Hampshire in 1823 and the mother's birth occurred in the state of New York in 1821.  They were married on the 3rd of September, 1843, and they became the parents of eleven children, seven of whom are yet living, although only Mrs. Rogers resides in Kenosha County.  A son, Otto F. Buswell, died here in April 1916.  The father was a Republican in his political views and was a member of the Freewill Baptist Church.  his was a well spent life and his many sterling traits of character endeared him to many friends, who gave him their confidence and warm regard.
Mr. and Mrs. Rogers have become the parents of nine children:  Lottie, who is married to John W. Hansche, by whom she has three children; Elizabeth, the wife of Louis C. Haven by whom she has two children; William C., at home; Malvina Bess, who married Marion Davis, by whom she has two children; Harry; John and Lucy Jane, at home; Walter, deceased; and Alvin who is also yet under the parental roof.
(Source:  City and County of Kenosha Wisconsin, Record of Settlement, by Frank H. Lyman, Volume II, Chicago, S.J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1916)


(Source:  Photo by J.H. Beers and Co. 1906 Biographical Record of Prominent Men of Racine and Kenosha Counties, Wisconsin)

Matt A. Rasmussen
The laudable ambition which prompted Matt A. Rasmussen to seek the broader business opportunities offered in the new world when but sixteen years of age has characterized his entire career and has led him from humble surroundings into a field of marked business activity and his efforts have been crowned with a most gratifying and substantial measure of success.  He is today at the head of the Somers Produce Company and his business activities have made him widely known in Somers Township and throughout his part of the county.
He was born in Langeland, Denmark, February 17, 1876, and is descended from farming people in Denmark, his grandfather being Jorgen Rasmussen, an agriculturist of that country, while his father was Robert Jorgensen Rasmussen, who likewise followed farming in Denmark, where he passed away in 1885 at the age of sixty-seven years.  He married Cathrina Albertsen, a daughter of Albert Albertsen, who was the owner of several vessels but in later years retired to a farm.  Mrs. Rasmussen long survived her husband and was a life-long member of the Lutheran Church, to the faith of which Robert J. Rasmussen also adhered.  They had three children:  Marie, who became the wife of Peter Petersen, of Herringe, Rudemer Fyn, Denmark; and Matt A. and Robert M., both living in Somers, Wisconsin.
Upon his father's farm on his native isle of Langeland, Matt A. Rasmussen was reared to the age of sixteen years and attended the common schools there but at that period in his life there occurred a momentous change.  He determined to try his fortune in the new world and, bidding adieu to home, family and friends, he sailed for the United States.  For eight years he was employed as a farm labor in Mount Pleasant township and during six months of that period he attended Castleton's Business College Racine, being earnestly desirous of thoroughly equipping himself for life's practical and responsible duties.  Frugality as well as industry brought him the capital that enabled him to purchase a farm of fifty-five acres in Somers township, adjoining the village of Somers on M Street on the north.  He still owns that property, upon which he has erected a beautiful home.  He continued to engage actively in farming until March 1900, when he turned his attention to the growing, buying and shipping of produce in partnership with Peter M. Anderson and Jacob Barrows.  At later dates he purchased the interests of his partners and is now conducting business alone under the title of the Somers Produce Company.  From time to time he has added to his landholdings, his additional purchases including a one hundred and four acre tract one mile south of Somers; thirty-five acres located across the road from his home place; one hundred and sixty acres, known as the Rhodes farm; two hundred and sixty acres near Truesdell; and a forty acre tract in Somers on which a hotel is located.  Altogether he is now cultivating six hundred and fifty-five acres of land.  He has built up a produce business of mammoth proportions, buying from farmers for miles around and specializing in the handling of cabbage, onions and potatoes.  He ships over fifteen hundred carloads of cabbage alone each year and is the largest grower and shipper in the state and probably in the United States.  The year round he employs over fifty men and during the shipping season as many as one hundred.  He has been given the title of the "Cabbage King" and his success as a dealer in produce has made him known in trade circles throughout the country.  He has two large warehouses and an ice house at Somers, two warehouses at Truesdell, and one at Stanley and he also ships from Corliss.  He is willing to pay a good price for labor and is a keen judge of men and their ability, and although the average farmer is constantly deploring the shortage of help Mr. Rasmussen never has any trouble in securing as many men as he needs.  His achievement in building up a business of such large proportions is in itself proof of his untiring industry, his enterprise, his ability to successfully manage large interests and his keep business insight.
On the 12th of December, 1905, Mr. Rasmussen was married in Somers Township to Miss Emma M. Donsing, who was born in the town of Lake, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, March 26, 1888, a daughter of Frederick Henry and Mary A. (Lorig) Donsing, residents of Somers township, where her father follows the occupation of farming.  He was born in 1859 and his wife in 1860 and both have long been loyal members of the Lutheran church.  They became the parents of five children:  Minnie, the wife of William Lauer of Somers Township;  Frederick who married Laura Polling and is now operating one of the Rasmussen farms on shares; Emma M., now Mrs. Rasmussen; Hattie, the wife of William Bose of Somers; Elsa the wife of Curtis Smith of Somers.  Mr. and Mrs. Rasmussen have two children:  Dorothy, born June 28, 1908; and Bernice, born February 21, 1912.
Politically Mr. Rasmussen is a Republican while fraternally he is connected with the Modern Woodmen of America, and in religious faith with the Presbyterian Church - associations which indicate much of the nature of his interests and the principles which govern his conduct.  His home is a modern residence built in an attractive modern style of architecture, supplied with hot and cold water throughout, with electric light from his own plant and hot water heat, while hardwood finishing has been used in every room.  The charm of the home, however, above its tasteful material comforts is its warm-hearted hospitality, which is cordially extended to a large  and growing circle of friends.  The life history of Mr. Rasmussen contains much that is inspirational, showing what may be accomplished through determination and energy and proving, moreover, that success and an honored name may be won simultaneously.
(Source:  City and County of Kenosha Wisconsin Record of Settlement by Frank H. Lyman, Vol. II, Chicago, S.J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1916)

Emma Donsing Rasmussen
View Emma Rasmussen obituary and grave marker. Click on this link.

Rasmussen marries Wirtz
"The marriage of Miss Isabel Wirtz to Mr. M.A. Rasmussen is announced for Thursday, July 10, 1919."
(Source:  Racine Journal News, July 9, 1919)

Matt A. Rasmussen U.S. Passport Application
Sailed from Hamburg March 15, 1890.

Matt Rasmussen Death December 2, 1932
"Matt A. Rasmussen, 56, of Somers, recognized leader of farm produce industry in southern Wisconsin, was found dead in a shed on one of his farms, just north of the village of Somers, today.
He had died from a bullet wound in his right temple, apparently self-inflicted.  A revolver, with one cartridge discharged, was found lying on the floor near his body.
In ill health for months and harassed by financial difficulties, he had been extremely despondent for the past two weeks, authorities were informed.   He is believed to have become temporarily deranged by the mental strain under which he has been laboring.
Rasmussen had been missing from his Somers home since early Friday afternoon, when he started toward Racine, ostensibly to fulfill a business engagement there.
At an early hour last night, members of the family became alarmed at his continued absence and started a search for him.  Sheriff's officers were given a description of the car he was driving and deputies joined in the hunt.
Throughout the night, no trace of him was found.  At 10: o'clock this morning, his wife, Isabelle, accompanied by her two daughters, discovered the automobile parked on a road north of Somers.  In the seat they found a new gun carton.  It was empty.  Gripped with foreboding, she walked to a nearby shed.  There, she found her husband's body.
Deputy Coroner Ernest Knoedler, acting in the absence of Coroner A.B. Schmitz, was notified immediately and took charge of the investigation.  He pronounced death due to a self-inflicted bullet wound.
Knoedler said death occurred sometime during the night.  Rasmussen had been dead for several hours when the body was found.
Rasmussen had never owned a revolver, members of the family said.  The gun found beside him was new.  It is believed he drove into Kenosha and purchased the gun at some business place here.
Two shots had been fired from the revolver.  One, officials believe, was fired to test the gun.  Four unfired cartridges were still in the cylinder.  The body was removed to Hansen's Funeral Home.  Funeral arrangements will be announced later.
Mr. Rasmussen was head of the Somers Produce Company, one of the largest dealers in farm produce in this section of the country.  He has been an outstanding resident of the Somers neighborhood for the past three decades.
Matt A. Rasmussen was born in Langeland, Denmark, February 17, 1876, a son of Robert Jorgensen Rasmussen and Dorothea Albertsen Rasmussen, both natives of that country.
He was reared on his father's farm on his native Isle of Langeland and attended the schools there.  At the age of 16 years he left the family home to seek his fortunate in America.
He came direct to  Wisconsin, and for the next 8 years, he was employed as a farm helper in Mt. Pleasant Township, Racine County.  For several months of that period, he left his work to secure business training at Castleton's Business College in Racine.
He then purchased a farm in Somers Township, a place of 55 acres adjoining the village of Somers on the north.  There he erected a home and laid the foundation for his huge business.
In March 1900 he entered into a partnership with Peter M. Anderson and Jacob Barrows and engaged in the growing, buying, and shipping of farm produce.  Within the next few years, Rasmussen purchased the interests of his partners and assumed complete control of the business.
As the years passed, he increased the scope of his enterprise and enlarged his farm holdings.  For the past decade he has been known as the outstanding dealer in farm produce in southern Wisconsin.
He purchased products from farmers throughout the Lake Shore territory, dealing especially in cabbage, onions and potatoes.  He built warehouses and other business places in Somers, Truesdell and other communities in the district and shipped his product to all sections of the country.
He built up a produce business of mammoth proportions, shipping thousands of carloads of cabbage alone each year.  He was reputedly the largest individual grower and shipper of cabbage in the state and probably in America.
He had been given the title of "Cabbage King" and his success as a dealer in produce made him known in trade circles throughout the United States.  For many years, he had yielded a big influence in establishing the price of cabbage in southern Wisconsin.
Mr. Rasmussen was affiliated with the Presbyterian Church.  Fraternally, he was connected with the Modern Woodmen of America.
On December 12, 1905, in the Town of Somers, he was married to Emma M. Donsing, a resident of Milwaukee County.  She was claimed by death a few years later.
About fifteen years ago he was married to Isabelle Wirtz.
He is survived by his wife, Isabelle, and four daughters, Mrs. Dorothy Hawkins, of LaCrosse, Mrs. Theodore Ludwig of Kenosha, and the Misses Virginia and Patsy Rasmussen, of Somers.  He is also survived by one brother, Robert Rasmussen, of Truesdell.
(Source:  Kenosha News, publication date December 4, 1932)

"Services for Prominent Somers Man to be Held at 8 o'Clock"
"Funeral services for Matt A. Rasmussen, prominent Somers produce broker, who was found death on one of his farms Saturday morning, will be held Tuesday morning.
Services will be held at the family home in Somers at 8 o'clock in the morning, followed by rites at St. George's Catholic Church in Kenosha at 9 o'clock.  Interment will be in the family plot in St. George's Cemetery, Kenosha.
Rasmussen's body was found by his wife, Isabelle, after he had been missing from his home since 2:30 o'clock Friday afternoon.  He had died from a self-inflicted bullet wound in the right temple.
Coroner A.B. Schmitz, following an investigation into the death, announced today no inquest would be necessary.  The fatal shot was fired from a .32 caliber Smith and Wesson revolver, which Rasmussen had apparently purchased only a few hours earlier, he said.  It has not been determined where he secured the weapon.
Death occurred shortly after 4 o'clock Friday afternoon, it is believed.  The body was found in an abandoned shed at 10 o'clock Saturday morning after a widespread search for the missing man had been launched.
School children en route home noticed Rasmussen's car parked near the shed a few minutes before 5 that afternoon.
(Source:  Kenosha News, publication date December 5, 1932)

Matthew A. Rasmussen of Somers Township, Kenosha County, Wisconsin
Buried in St. George Cemetery, Kenosha, Wisconsin (Wirtz family plot)
(Source of photo:  USGenWebArchivesProjectWisconsin by Larry & Linda Kopet)

Isabel A. (Wirtz) Rasmussen, daughter of John Wirtz (see blog for additional information on Wirtz)
wife of Matthew A. Rasmussen
Somers Township, Kenosha County, Wisconsin
Buried in St. George Cemetery, Kenosha, Wisconsin (Wirtz family plot)
(Source of photo: USGenWebArchivesProjectWisconsin by Larry & Linda Kopet)

Monday, December 5, 2011

Berryville Church

Berryville Methodist Episcopal Church
circa. about 1899 when new church building was dedicated
(Source:  Photo Courtesy of Warren and Lyla Kramer.  Copyright 2011 Jacqueline K. Nelson.  All Rights Reserved)

Dedication of New Church Building
"Sunday, December 17, 1899, will long be remembered by the Methodist Society of Berryville, Wisconsin.  It may be truly said that never before has there been such interest manifested in church circles as there was in the vicinity on that day, the occasion being the dedication of the new church.  It will be remembered that early in the spring, opinion inclined at first toward the renovation of the old church, but it soon became evident that such a work would require almost half the cost of a new building.  The board of trustees took the matter into consideration and finally decided to build a new church.  A vigorous canvas of the church and community assured a successful effort.  Under the most untiring and skillful work of the pastor, Rev. W.W. Gray, loyally reinforced by his people and by the hard work of a judicious and careful building committee, the Methodist Society of that thrifty community, after the interior of the building has been fully completed, will be in possession of one of finest rural churches that can be found in the conference.

Considerable interest was manifested in the coming dedication and although the committee had put forth their best efforts to have the chairs in place the latter failed to arrive in time for the occasion.  Their plans, however, would not be frustrated and the day's program was carried out as announced, a sufficient number of chairs having been secured for the day.  The interior of the building is finished off in Georgia pine, the windows are of beautiful colored glass and the rooms will be lighted by gasoline.  A furnace underneath the building will furnish the heat.

The weather on Sunday morning gave promise of a very fine day and the roads were in good condition, the people could be seen coming from all direction while the electric cars brought in their proportion:  Rev. C.P. Masden of the Grand Avenue Church, Milwaukee, our presiding elder, Dr. D.C. John, Rev. A.M. Sanford of the Milwaukee Rescue Mission and Rev. W.W. Gray of Abrams, Wisconsin and former pastor, were early arrivals and at 10:30 o'clock the services were opened.

Rev. E.D. Kohlstedt, pastor of the church, was unable to be present on account of sickness.  As the choir, consisting of Prof. William Toase, J.G. Mitchell, Mrs. E.D. Kohlstedt and Miss Lulu Rhodes with Miss Lewis as organist, sang its first selection we all felt that the committee were very fortunate in securing their services. The remarks made throughout the day regarding the singing by the choir were very complimentary indeed.  The morning sermon was preached by Rev. C.P. Masden to a most intensely interested congregation.  After the sermon, the presiding elder, Dr. D.C. John, made a statement of the financial condition of the church, the report showing that there was a debt of $700 to be raised before the dedication services could be carried out.  The whole amount was subscribed in a short time with the exception of $45, which was raised in the afternoon.  In justice to the ladies it must be said that they also came to the rescue and aided in freeing the church from debt.
The afternoon services were opened with prayer by Rev. A.M. Sanford, after which the sermon was preached by Rev. W.W. Gray, the former pastor, his many friends being pleased to have him present on this important occasion.  Dr. D.C. John took charge of the evening services and at the close he made a request that donations amounting to $300 be made so that the interior of the church might be finished at once.  Two-thirds of this amount was raised and we trust the balance will be forthcoming in a short time.

The trustees of the church, W.F. Hansche, Thomas Piper, W.J. Hansche, A.H. Bradley, and August Piper came forward and the president of the board, W.F. Hansche, presented the building for dedication.  Dr. John conducted the ceremonies, the doxology was sung, after which the benediction was pronounced.

The Somers people were very cordially entertained by the Berryville people for which they are very grateful.  The members of the choir desire to thanks Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Piper for the kind hospitality shown them while being entertained in their home.  They were heartily welcomed and their kindness will be remembered for a long time.

A merry Christmas and a happy New Year to the editor and the members of his staff, also the Journal's many readers is the wish of your correspondent."
(Source:  Racine Daily Journal, publication date December 19, 1899)

Berryville M.E. Church History
"The Berryville Methodist Episcopal Church (also known as Berryville M.E.) is an outgrowth of Sunday School classes held in the Lake Shore schoolhouse (Berryville School) about a mile south of the County Line Road in the days previous to the Civil War.
In 1863 under the leadership of Rev. J.C. Stover, a church building was erected at the County Line Road and Lake Shore Road.  A new church was erected in 1899.  This building served until six years ago, when the congregation disbanded, the members attending churches either at Racine or at Kenosha.  The building has been remodeled into an apartment.
(Source:  Kenosha News June 1935 Centennial Edition)

Lake Shore Presbyterian Mission
"The Lake Shore Presbyterian Mission was organized as the Lake Shore vacation Bible School by Rev. Carl Franz of West Allis.  It was conducted originally in the Old Time Dance Club on the Lake Shore Road in Berryville about four years ago.  For the past two years both church and Sunday school services have been held, with the T. Parker home on Fairview Avenue used for that purpose.  E. J. Nelson, student pastor from the Presbyterian seminary at Chicago, is in charge at present.
(Source: Kenosha News June 1935 Centennial Edition)

In 1859-60-63, Congregational services under the direction of Rev. H.S. Durant were held in the old Berryville school house.
(Source: Kenosha News June 1935 Centennial Edition)

Berryville Church News
"The Christmas tree and entertainment at the Berryville Church on Monday, was a grand success, the edifice being crowded to the doors.  Rev. E. Kaneen, pastor.  Christmas service at 2:30p.m., special Christmas music by the choir and sermon by the pastor.  Junior League 1 p.m., Sunday School 1:30 p.m., Epworth League 7:30 p.m., midweek service Thursday 7:45 p.m."
(Racine Daily publication date December 26, 1906)

"The Rev. E. Kaneen, pastor of the North Side and Berryville churches, and secretary of the Ministers' union, has been invited to the pastorate of an important Methodist Church in Illinois, and will probably accept and take up his new work early in April."
(Racine Daily publication date March 28, 1907)

"Berryville M.E. Church, Rev. F.M. Pratt, Pastor."
(Racine Daily publication date February 22, 1908)

"The Young Ladies' Society of the Berryville M.E. Church gave a very fine entertainment at the home of Mrs. A. Bradley last evening to an audience of about one hundred people.  A number from Racine were present.  The program was varied, which made it most interesting, consisting of readings, dialogues, and music.  Refreshments were served at the close of the program.  The young ladies are to be highly commended fro this splendid effort."
(Source:  Racine Daily publication date June 23, 1908)

"The Ladies' Aid of the Berryville M.E. Church will be entertained at the home of Mrs. Klapproth, Wednesday afternoon."
(Source:  Racine Daily publication date May 11, 1911)

"There will be a joint picnic of four Methodist Churches for a Labor Day outing next Monday at the Piper Grove at Berryville.  Committees have been appointed by the brotherhood of the various curches to take charge of the program for the occasion and they now have their plans practically completed.
The brotherhood of the First M.E. church has made most of the preliminary arrangements and has planned to have a general good time all through the day.  At noon, tables will be spread for the mebers of the brotherhoods and their families and in the afternoon games will be played by the pleasure seekers.  A baseball game will be staged between the joint teams of the churches.  A special electric car for the occasion will leave here at 10 o'clock Monday morning and other cars during the day will carry over 200 persons to the picnic.  In addition to the ball games, running and jumping contests will be held as well as sack races and potato races."
(Source:  Racine Daily publication date September 4, 1914)

"The annual picnic of the Methodist Churches of Racine and Berryville was held at Piper's Grove and it was a big success.  At noon well laden baskets were opened and added to these was hot coffee furnished by the committee which filled the bill against the chilly northeast blast.  After lunch the day was spent with an enjoyable program.  The first game between the older men of the First M.E. Church and the First church was a hummer and would have to be seen to be appreciated!  It is the general opinion the Cy Hay and W.E. Loomis can make the most noise as the first mentioned is charged with two errors because he was talking and did not hear the ball coming. The game see-sawed from one side to other until it went into extra innings.
Several of the more prominent members of the church received passes to the picnic on account of their ability in a specified line.  For instance: Thomas Hay of Grange Avenue for his rooting ability; Mr. Gerhard of the First church for selling ice cream tickets; Mr. Christian of Grange Avenue, for his inside knowledge of baseball; Mr. Mortensen of the First church for the way he swings his hat to keep the flies off; W.E. Hansche of Grange Avenue, for his general good looks, and a good many more that might be mentioned.
The corn roast in the evening was well attended despite the inclement weather and was enjoyed by all who participated.  A special electric train was in waiting at 5:30 to bring all who wished to return at that time."
(Source: Racine Daily publication September 4, 1914)

"E.D. Kohlstedt, a former pastor of the Berryville M.E. Church has been elected president of the Wesleyan College at Mitchell, South Dakota."
(Source:  Racine Journal publication date March 29, 1922)

"About 200 attended the New England supper and entertainment at the Hansche school house last evening.  It was given by the Ladies' Aid Society of the Berryville M.E. church.  Supper was served from 6 to 8:30 o'clock and was followed by an interesting program, composed of talent which proved to be royal entertainers.  The Metropolitan orchestra gave several selections and Miss Esther Piper rendered a piano solo which was enthusiastically received.  A vocal duet by Miss Jeanette Hayman and Miss Susan McCullough was another feature.  An orchestra from the Second M.E. Church of Racine gave two selections which added greatly to the program."
(Source:  Racine Journal publication date November 27, 1917)

The Lake Shore Church
"It appears that the Lake Shore church property at Berryville was at one time in the charge of possession of our church, for at a meeting of the trustees held August 20, 1873, a report to the quarterly conference was agreed on, from which the following extract is taken"
"The trustees of said church respectfully report:  that the property held by us in trust for the church as as follows:
Lot 11, Block 2, Section 16, on Main Street, with church edifice and furniture of the value of $40,000.00.
Church lot and building on the road to Kenosha, in the Town of Somers, Berryville $500.00
Parsonage in Racine $2,500.00
(Source:  History of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, Racine, Wisconsin by Eugene Walter Leach, Copyright 1912 by E.W. Leach)

Berryville Church Statistics
Church Year Ending:  October 9, 1901
Pastor:  E.D. Kohlstedt
Members of Probation:  5
Full Members: 110
Value of Church Property:  $6,500.00
Value of Parsonage:  N/A
Sunday School Teachers: 24
Sunday School Members:  192
(Source: History of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, Racine, Wisconsin by Eugene Walter Leach, Copyright 1912 by E.W. Leach)