|Partial map 1908 of Somers Township, Kenosha County, Berryville area|
John Gehring parcel, Section 7
John W. Gehring became a resident of Kenosha County, Wisconsin, in 1858 and for ten years worked as a teamster in the City of Kenosha. During that time he carefully saved his earnings with a view of purchased land and in 1868 bought a forty acre tract, which he cultivated until 1896, when he sold the place to his son. For eight years he rented fifteen acres and at the end of that time rented eighty acres on Section 18, Somers Township, where he still lives. He was very successful as a farmer, being energetic and practical, and in time he accumulated a competence which now enables him to enjoy the comforts of like without further labor.
Mr. Gehring was united in marriage on the 14th of February, 1869, to Miss Annie Oberst, a daughter of Henry and Elizabeth Oberst. To this union were born eleven children, all of whom are deceased but one son, John Henry, who married Mary Miller and has five children, John M.; Gertrude, Frank, William and George. They also adopted a daughter, Anna, who married William Krause and had three children. She is now deceased.
Mr. Gehring is independent in the exercise of his right of franchise, supporting the men whom he deems best fitted for the office regardless of his party affiliation. In religious faith he is a Roman Catholic and holds membership in the church in Kenosha. He found in this country excellent opportunities for advancement and as he was not afraid of hard work, he gained a gratifying measure of success although he had no capital when he began his independent career. He is one of the substantial residents of his locality, and personally he is highly esteemed.
(Source: City and County of Kenosha, Wisconsin, A Record of Settlement, Col. II, pages 334 and 337 and photo on 335, Frank H. Lyman, Chicago, The S.J. Clark Publishing Co. 1916.)
More About Gehring
"Frankie Gehring of Berryville called on his cousin, Mathias Mueller, last Saturday."
(Source: Racine Journal News, publication date May 23, 1911)
Mrs. Anna Kraus, wife of William Kraus, died on Tuesday morning, December 1, 1914, after a lingering illness. The deceased was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John W. Gehring of Berryville and was born in the Township of Somers on September 9, 1881. She has lived in this locality her entire life and was a woman of noble characteristics. She was beloved and highly respected by all who knew her. A husband, three little children and a host of friends mourn her departure. Funeral services were held from St. George's Church in Kenosha.
(Source: Racine Journal News, publication date Dec. 1, 1914)
The wedding of Miss Anne Gehring, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Gehring, Kenosha, and Frank William Drummond, son of Mr. and Mrs. W.S. Drummond of this city, took place at 10 o'clock Saturday morning at the St. Thomas church, Kenosha, the Rev. Father W.D. Malone officiating. Palms formed the decoration of the church.
The bride wore silk embroidered net over white satin and a bridal veil and carried a shower bouquet of sweet peas and roses. She was given away by her brother, John M. Gehring, of Kenosha. Miss Gertrude Miller, of the city, a cousin of the bride, was the bridesmaid and wore yellow crepe de chine and carried tea roses. John M. Gerhring was best man and John M. Miller and Frank Miller, of this city, cousins of the bride, were the ushers.
A reception was held after the ceremony at the home of the bride's parents, which was prettily decorated in yellow and white, and dinner was served. There were about fifty guests. Later in the day, Mr. and Mrs. Drummond left for Lake Geneva. They will be at home after July 16 at Spring Valley farm, Racine County. The bride was formerly a stenographer for the Cooper Company, Kenosha.
(Source: Racine Journal News, publication date July 3, 1917)