Thursday, September 29, 2011

1921 New Congregational Church

First Congregational Church, Somers, Wisconsin
Photographer and Contributor: C.E. Dewey
Date:  June 18, 1939
The main part of the Congregational Church was a part of the Presbyterian Church built in 1839.  It was moved a number of  times.
(Source:  Photo Courtesy of Kenosha County Historical Society, Inc.)


Dedication of Church
"On Sunday, August 21, 1921, the new Congregational Church in the village was dedicated with most appropriate services.  The spacious auditorium was filled to over-flowing with people from the surrounding neighborhood.  Many former residents of Somers came from a distance to attend these impressive services.  The dedicatory services were in charge of the Rev. Harding Hogan, of the Plymouth Congregational Church of Racine.  He delivered a most excellent address.  The Rev. Hargett, pastor of the First Methodist Church of Racine gave a splendid sermon at the afternoon meeting and the Young People’s Union, also of Racine, closed the day of dedication with a sacred concert in the evening.  The music for the morning and afternoon services was given by local talent.  The Congregational Church of Somers is the union of the Presbyterian and Methodist Churches of the village and is built on the site of the former Presbyterian church.  This new organization is dedicated free of debt with a large membership and a splendid Sunday School enrollment.  The ladies of the society served luncheon at Woodmen Hall at noon. 
(Source: Racine Journal Times publication August 24, 1921)


"Work has begun on the remodeling of the church.  An addition is to be built on the east side of the building and considerable other improvements are to be made.  William Lauer and his force of men will do the work."
(Source:  Racine Journal Times publication February 24, 1921)

Formed in 1842 by a group of Bible students who were in the first caravan that settled Somers Township in Kenosha County, the Pike Grove American Bible Society will hold its 94th annual meeting in the Somers Congregational Church December 8 on the date of the commemoration of the 400th anniversary of the translation of the Bible into English. The organization is only a remnant of the original group.
(Source:  Racine Journal Times publication Dec. 3, 1935)


No comments:

Post a Comment